timeless

"that's when i came upon a book covered in cobwebs, story of a romance torn apart by fate." "in the fifteen hundreds off in a foreign land, and i was forced to marry another man. you still would've been mine, we would have been timeless" -taylor swift, timeless

in which you reminisce on a broken down relationship.
___

july 7th, 2033

you were laying in your bed, next to your husband. you married the second love of your life, austin, with your dream wedding a couple years ago, and you haven't been happier in a while.

you loved austin and he loved you. there was nothing more that you could ever ask for. a healthy relationship that was full of love and surprises was all you needed.

everything has been smooth sailing so far, and you hadn't thought about the accident hardly at all.

that was, until today. you were scrolling through your instagram feed when you get a text from a number you haven't heard from in a hot minute.

nick.

nick
hey y/n. i know we havent
talked in a while, but today
is the ten year anniversary
of the accident. matt and i
just visited his grave, and
it was so incredibly therapeutic.
you're more than welcome
to go visit him. i know it's
been a while.

you stare at the message in shock. a million thoughts run through your mind at once. "i was doing so well. why did he have to bring it up?" "i can't keep holding on to what's in the past. visiting him will stir up the attachments." "i have austin now. i have to move on from chris." "i need to move on." "i have to move on."

contradicting your thoughts, you text him back.

y/n
i'll be there.

you slip out of bed, trying your hardest not to wake austin. you slide on some shoes and grab your keys. after hopping in the car, you start on the same drive you used to make every single day.

your speedy tendencies caused you to shave a 15 minute drive down to 7. you walk along the path, finding that dreaded piece of stone that you know all too well.

you take a deep breath and sit down.

"hi chris." you say, feeling all the memories come flooding back to you.

"i'm sorry i haven't visited in a while. god, it's been, what, three years? since i've last talked to you? i'm sorry." you say, tears bubbling in the corners of your eyes involuntarily.

"i've been trying to do better. i know that if you could, you'd tell me to move on. i tried so hard. i tried so fucking hard, chris." you breathe out, not bothering to wipe your tears, knowing they're not going to stop any time soon.

"after all i did was try, try, try, i met someone. his name is austin. you two are so similar. i just know you would've loved him." you chuckle slightly, leaning your head against the gravestone.

"i miss you. so much. i know i 'moved on,' but i don't think i ever fully will. i mean, you were my first love. you were my first kiss. you were my first everything, chris. i often find myself thinking of you when i'm with austin. and it's horrible, i know. but i cant help it. everything, just- everything just fell apart when you left." you cry, choking back sobs.

"i know you'd yell at me for saying this, but i still blame myself for what happened. i was the reason you went out. you went to the store to get things for me. i'll never forget the way i felt when the policeman came to the door and told me the news. that piece of my heart will always be missing. sometimes i still stare at the phone, waiting for you to call and say that you're coming back to me. but you never do."

with every word that spills out of your mouth, you feel another piece of your heart break.

"i've always loved you chris. i always have, and i always will. i'll never forget your ocean blue eyes looking in mine, or the way you'd kiss me when i was in the middle of saying something. i miss you tan skin and your sweet smile, the way you always put me before you. i miss the way you'd hug me like it was the last after an argument. god damn chris, i need you so, so badly right now."

"i always thought it would be you and me. everyone always said that we would be endgame, and every time we would reply 'you know it.' i hate how i was forced to marry another man. you still would've been mine." you wipe your nose.

"we would have been timeless."
___
a/n- i'm evil

i heard this song and immediately wanted to write something completely HEART WRENCHING based off it

how many taylor swift references can you count in this? i'm listening to her as i write and they just kept coming

i love you all and i hope this didnt emotionally wreck anyone too bad

xx
chrissy