from the dining table

"we haven't spoke since you went away, comfortable silence is so overrated. why won't you ever be the first one to break? even my phone, misses your call, by the way." -harry styles, from the dining table

in which chris ignores you.

NO IM NOT INCLUDING THAT ONE LINE YK WHICH ONE IM TALKING ABOUT
___

you woke up alone in the hotel room, slightly confused. you looked around for any trace of chris, but then everything from last night comes rushing back to you.

-
"chris, you don't have to fucking leave! all im asking you to do is explain. explain to me why you're so angry!" you shout, the fact that it's nearly 2am in a crowded hotel completely slipping your mind.

you had left your hotel room to go get snacks from the vending machine, and when you got back, chris was giving you the classic middle school silent treatment. when you asked him why, he just ignored you. until you got fed up and started yelling, which did get him talking, but not in the way you wanted.

"i don't know."

"clearly you do fucking know, or else you wouldn't started this! god chris, im just- ugh. im so confused. what did i do?" you scoff, dropping your hands and sitting down on the bed you two had shared the previous night.

you may be beyond angry with him, but you still loved him. hell, you've been together for almost four years! you can't just let that go in the blink of an eye. "chris, please.. please don't leave. let's just talk about this." your voice drops as you grab his bicep to constrict him from leaving.

"i need to go."

and with that, he's gone.
-

you had woken up around 8, despite being awake until almost 3 in the morning getting into a one-sided screaming match with your boyfriend. you fell back asleep for a couple hours, waking up for good around noon.

you got up and went to the bathroom, looking at your disheveled state. your hair was all messed up from how wild you slept, your eyes nearly swollen shut from how much you cried, and your lips chapped and bleeding because of how much you bit them.

you developed an anxious tic of biting and picking at your lips. usually, chris was the one to notice and to stop you. it was different when he was the reason you were doing it.

you groan at your reflection. "god, i've never felt less cool." you say to yourself, splashing some cold water into your face to hopefully help with the puffiness. you use the restroom quickly and wash your hands, rushing to put away all your toiletries.

with the heat of all the events last night, you had completely forgot that checkout was at 11am. you rushed to pack up everything and tiding up the room slightly. you grab your bags and head over to the elevator, pushing the first floor button as fast as you could.

you made it down and nearly sprinted to the checkout desk, ignoring the weird looks from people all around you.

"you're almost an hour and a half late from your checkout time, ma'am." the hostess lady says with a tight-lipped expression that you can hardly read.

"i know, and im so sorry. i had kind of a wild night. my boyfriend argued with me and i don't know why and then he left and he had all the checkout information so i didnt-"

"okay ma'am, calm down. all that i need is a $30 fee for being late." she cuts you off, your face turning red as you reach for your card.

"oh. here."

she nods sharply at you as she takes your card and begins typing ferociously on her keyboard. she hands it back to you with a small receipt. "have a better day, sorry about your boyfriend. or ex-boyfriend..? just- have a good day."

you force a smile at her and drag all your bags out to your car, piling them into your trunk. you get in the drivers seat and put your house in the gps, seeing that it's only a 40 minute drive. you decide to call chris, hoping he's cooled down a bit.

the phone rings and rings, but you get no answer. his voicemail plays, and you decide against all better judgement to leave him a message. "uh, hey chris. im just wondering what happened. we haven't spoke since you went away, and im not really loving this whole silence thing that we're doing. im just saying that i miss you and your calls. please text me or call me when you get this. i love you. i don't know if we can say that anymore, but i do."

the phone cuts you off right as you finish, and you press the send button on the message. you decide to ignore it for a little bit, plugging your phone into the aux as well and starting your playlist.

about 20 minutes into the drive, your car begins to get low on gas. you pull into the nearest station to fill up and get some snacks. once you fill up your car, you move it over to a spot and walk into the small store. immediately, you're met with a girl that you vaguely recognize.

she's pretty- a couple inches shorter than you, long nails, thick eyelashes. you quickly remember why you recognize her- you met her at chris' work party one christmas eve.

you walk over to her and give her a friendly wave. "hey! you're, uh, abigail, right? chris' friend from work?"

she smiles at you, but you can tell in her eyes that she doesn't remember who you are. "yeah, hi."

"im y/n, chris' girlfriend.." you start, but your attention is soon moved to her shirt. it was orange with a tasmanian devil on it, and it had a small hole right under the neckline. you immediately recognize the shirt as chris', same blemishes and all. you remember that being your favorite shirt of his to steal, just because it was so lived in.

"oh! that's right, hi."

"uh, chris walked out on me last night. i was just wondering if you've seen him?" you ask, moving your car keys from your palm to the other repeatedly.

"oh yeah, he's doing just fine."

"i see he gave you his old tee-shirt." you blurt out, your eyes running over it again. you can tell she knows something you don't- it's written all over her face.

"yeah. well, i've got to go. i'll see you later!" she scurries off, paying for her doritos quickly and leaving. you sigh and grab your go-to snacks, also paying for them and getting back in your car. you hope to have a text or voicemail or something from chris, but you don't.

you decide to leave another message.

"i saw abigail today, she looked real good in your shirt. well, more of what was once mine at this point, i wore it every day. i just don't get it- why won't you ever say what you want to say? just letting you know, im not the only one who misses your calls. my phone does too."

you send the message with a small sigh as you start back on the highway to your house. you play music on the way home, but you're not paying attention to it. you're just trapped in your own thoughts, trying to reassure yourself.

maybe one day he'll call me and tell me that he's sorry too. you think. you allow your thoughts to end on that one, deciding that was the most realistic option.

but he never does.
___

a/n- it's chrissy!!!

i love this song so much i feel like i didn't do it justice with this chapter

i hope you still enjoyed nonetheless

it's so late i should probably go to bed

xx
chrissy