6. Nightmares

Robin tossed and turned in his bed. Images haunted his mind. Memories. Memories he could never forget.

He was just ten years old laying in bed with the covers wrapped around him tight. He was sound asleep when an ear-piercing scream shot through his ears. His eyes opened and he sat up quickly. He turned to the bed across from him to see his older brother staring wide-eyed at the door.

"That scream... I think it came from downstairs." Robin said.

His brother threw off the covers and grabbed his baseball bat as he walked toward the door.

"Luis, don't go over there, it's dangerous."

"Mom needs me. You stay here and lock the door. Don't open it for anyone." He said and opened the door.

Robin tightened his grasp around his covers and took a deep breath before throwing them off and hurrying over to him.

"I'm coming with you." He said.

Luis turned to him with a serious gaze and nodded once. "Fine, but stay close to me and stay quiet."

The hall was dark and they couldn't see, Robin's pulse rushed, and his breathing became strained in his throat. They stepped down the stairs and into the foyer to see a hunched-over figure draped in a black cloak. It sounded like a snarling beast.

Robin swallowed and took a step back making the floorboard creak. The figure stopped and dropped what it was holding with a thud.

Robin gasped in horror as his Mother's arm fell into view onto the floor. He staggered backward.

Luis tightened his grip on the baseball bat, his eyes brimmed with tears, as his breathing flared. "No!" He shouted as he ran and hit him on the back with every ounce of strength he had.

The figure turned around unfazed by Luis's strike. His face was pale gaunt and his dark eyes were like two holes the color of dry blood. His mouth was stained with red that dripped down his chin.

"You're a brave one aren't you?" He sneered and grabbed the bat, crushing it into splinters with his bare hand.

Luis's eyes widened and he dropped the handle to the ground.

Robin watched in terror as his brother, the bravest person he knew, the one he relied on, visually trembled.

Robin wanted to say something. To do something but he was frozen to that spot. No words would come, he was a statue ensnared by his own fear.

"One brave child and one cowering like a little rabbit. The blood frozen cold by fear is always the sweetest." He laughed, licked his lips, and started to take a step toward Robin.

"Don't touch him!" Luis shouted and moved in front of him.

"Bravery and determination are such rare and useful qualities, especially in one so young."

He took out a handkerchief and began wiping the blood from his mouth. "Let's test this courage to see where its limits lie." He shifted like a shadow, swept past Luis, and grabbed Robin by the collar. He lifted him up as he laughed. Robin struggled to get out of his grasp even resorting to clawing at his hand. The man opened his mouth exposing his sharp fangs as he approached Robin's neck.

Robin let out a cry in fear.

Luis reached out his hand and ran over to him. "Put him down, don't hurt him!"

The creature turned to him. "Risking your life for this weak little worm who couldn't even do the same for you? Alright, I'll make a deal with you, tell me your name."