36. Starlight Walk

Robin walked up to Isadora's house. They had agreed to train this evening and he was looking forward to seeing her again.

He walked into Isadora's backyard to find she wasn't there. He looked around confused. Where was she?

"She'll be back soon." He heard a voice say and turned to see Medusa sitting on the patio reading a book. He quickly looked away so as to not meet her eyes.

"Relax, sweetheart, I won't turn you into stone. However, if you break Isadora's heart I cannot promise that you will not meet a most dreadful end." She said in a tone that was as sharp as a dagger.

Robin stammered a laugh. Tristan was not kidding when he said don't get on her bad side. He knew she meant every word.

"Listen, Medusa, I would never do anything to hurt Isadora. All I want is to make her happy, the way that she makes me happy."

"Is that so?"

"It is." He replied in a serious voice.

Medusa closed her book and put on her shades as she stood up. "I knew your relationship to Isadora was peculiar from the start." She said and walked down from the patio. He took a step back, nervously.

She began circling him and her snakes began hissing as they slithered around her face and shoulders.

"The way she looked at you, spoke about you. Even the way she said your name." She hissed.

Robin tensed up. She wasn't even asking any questions and yet he felt as if he was in an interrogation. What was with her?

She stopped circling and stood in front of him. "You say you won't hurt her but it's already inevitable. You're a mortal, you aren't long for this world. One day you'll die and it will fall upon me to clean up the fallout you leave behind. For that reason alone, knowing what will happen to her, I can never be okay with this. If anything happens to you, Isadora will never recover and she will never forgive herself. Spare her that much at least and try not to get yourself killed, okay?" She said and brushed past him.

Robin swallowed hard and his chest tightened. "I have no intention of dying. I'm going to find a way to stay by her side forever. I'll never abandon her." He said and turned around.

Medusa looked at him over her shoulder and smirked. "Now that is an answer I can respect. You don't give up, you'll fit right in with us then. Welcome to our dysfunctional family, Robin."

His eyes widened. This was a test? Wow, she really was something else.

"Isadora is out in the field stargazing." She said.

Robin smiled. "Thank you." He turned and ran out of the backyard.

Tristan and Cindy walked through the park beneath the dark blue twilight sky

Tristan and Cindy walked through the park beneath the dark blue twilight sky. Adonis wandered ahead of them weaving through the trees in the field like a shadow. He watched her as she looked up at the stars.