45. The Hunter

Robin rolled over in his bed and sleepily opened his eyes to see a dark silhouette standing in the corner. His body tensed as he quickly sat upright and grabbed his dagger resting on his bedside table. He jumped to his feet and pointed the dagger at it.

"Calm down, Robin, it's me." The figure stepped into the light of the window.

Robin sighed as he realized it was just Tristan. He set the dagger down and shook his head as he rubbed his tired eyes. "I know you aren't exactly human but could you try and learn some of our social norms and customs? We don't go sneaking into people's rooms in the middle of the night for a start. Jot that down. What in heaven's name are you doing here anyway?"

"She's gone, Robin..." He said barely above a whisper.

Robin looked up at him in confusion as he ran his fingers through his curly dark brown bangs to move them out of his eyes. "What are you talking about whose gone?"

Tristan stepped closer to him and Robin was taken aback at the pain in his eyes.

"Lucinda was taken... Therius has her now..."

Robin's body locked in place for a moment as a shooting pain hit him in the chest. He couldn't breathe or think. He gasped for air then the pain was quickly replaced by a fit of boiling anger he couldn't control. Robin walked over to Tristan and hit him in the face. Tristan's head was knocked back and he cringed.

Robin grabbed him by the collar. "She put her trust in you! How could you let this happen? You were supposed to protect her!" He raised his fist to hit him again but paused when he realized Tristan wasn't fighting back. Robin let go of him and glared. "How did you let this happen?"

Tristan looked toward the window. "You're right I should have protected her... I was supposed to walk Lucinda home... However, I was under attack. The necromancer was breaking through the enchantments I placed over my mind, in order to take the spell. He is more powerful than I ever could have imagined. He broke through and he took the spell. I went after Lucinda as soon as the necromancer had fled. She must have walked home alone in the dark after she realized I wasn't coming. Therius must have taken her then."

Robin's breathing flared as his chest surged with immense pain and fear. This couldn't be happening. It couldn't be. NOT Cindy. Not her. He couldn't lose her. He looked down to see Tristan clutching something tightly.

"What is that?"

Tristan lifted his hand and opened it revealing a shell bracelet. "I gave this to Lucinda... I found it in the street laying there in-in her blood."

A lump formed in Robin's throat as he looked at it. "We have to find her." He choked.

"We will but we need everyone to help us."

Robin nodded.

Where was she? What had Therius done to her? She couldn't be dead. Robin couldn't take that. He couldn't lose her too. He would find her. He would do whatever it took to find her.

 He would do whatever it took to find her