31. The Good Memories

Robin walked into the cemetery carrying a bouquet of his mother's favorite pink roses. All around him were aged granite headstones, statues of angels, and crosses.

This walk never became any easier. His feet always felt heavy.

She shouldn't have been carried to this place so soon. She was taken away from him before her time. She was robbed of her future. A future she was supposed to spend with her family. There were so many things he wanted to ask her but never could. So many things he wanted to experience with her but never had the chance.

He lifted his eyes and looked at her headstone. A cross with flowers carved along its edges. Inscribed were the words Sally Rivera, Born Sept 13th, 1922, Died January 1954, Beloved Wife And Mother, May God Take Her To His Embrace.

Robin smiled sadly. "Hello, Mom, I brought your favorites, though I see Papi has already brought you a rose." He said and gestured to the single red rose tied with a white ribbon.

It was a tradition. Ever since their first date his Papa always gave his mother a red rose with a white ribbon. Before she passed away she collected those ribbons and kept them in a chest. One of which, the first one he ever gave her, she wore in her hair every day. That one was buried with her now.

He crouched down and set the roses beside the one his Father left and put his hand on his mother's name.

"I miss you every day. There isn't a single day that goes by that I don't think about you."

Memories flooded his mind. Memories that at one point held joy but were now tainted with the pain of knowing they were forever out of reach.

He was just eight years old, walking through the park holding his mother's hand. Her blonde hair was curled and bounced around her round rosy cheeks. She was wearing her favorite Periwinkle sweater over her white dress.

Luis was skateboarding on the other side of her wearing his white helmet with blue stripes. It was a Hazy warm summer day with the sun shining. Not a cloud in the sky. Everything was perfect. Everything was the way it should be.

Robin was eating a vanilla ice cream cone when his Mom quickly snatched it out of his hand.

"Hey!" He complained.

"Sorry, I have to check and make sure it isn't poisoned." She said innocently and licked it.

Luis laughed. "If it is, he should be long dead after the way he scarfed down the chocolate scoop on top."

Robin stuck out his tongue at Luis who crossed his eyes and stuck his tongue out back at him.

"Hm, seems safe enough." She ruffled his curly black hair and handed him his ice cream back.

Luis picked up his board. "Hey, Mom, I'll race you to that tree over there." He said and pointed to the big oak in the distance.

She flipped her hair out of her face. "You're on. Robin, do you think you're up to the challenge?"

He swallowed the last of his cone and wiped his mouth on his sleeve. "It's not a challenge, both of you are going down." He said and gave them a thumbs down.

"You have a big attitude for such a little brother," Luis said and pinched his cheek.

"Hey!" He protested and smacked his hand away.

"Alright, you two get ready." His Mom said as she slipped off her shoes.

All three of them lined up at the edge of the grass. "Get set!" She lifted her hand.

"Go!" She shouted and they all made a run for it.

Robin was breathing heavily and pushing himself as hard as he could while watching Luis from the corner of his eye determined to stay ahead of him.