26. The Necromancer

Isadora followed him up onto the roof. He stood with his back to her staring off at the horizon. His dark aura raged around him like a thunderstorm does a tree where lightning is preparing to strike.

"I thought I knew all of Therius's close friends, but I've yet to have the pleasure of your acquaintance." She said and stretched her arms over her head as the golden snake bracelet around her wrist slithered into her hand. It opened its mouth and an emerald blade emerged.

He laughed slightly. "Close friends... interesting way of putting it."

She fastened her grasp around the hilt and smiled as she swung it once.

"So, you have me where you want me. What happens now?" She asked.

He waved his hand and darkness draped over him and took the form of a cloak. He turned around to face her. Just as Tristan had described he wore a deer skull over his face.

She narrowed her eyes as he slowly raised his hand and pointed.

"Behind you." He stated and she quickly whirled around slicing a vampire woman across the face.

The vampire bared her teeth and snarled at her as she jumped back. Her flesh knit back together and she was ready for more.

Isadora looked back at him over her shoulder as she pulled her dagger from her boot. Why had he warned her about the vampire? It was one of Therius's spawn. She could smell him on the creature.

The vampire released her claws and lunged at her quickly.

Isadora sidestepped the attack and ran her through the heart from behind. Olympian steel was overkill for a mindless zombie like this one but she didn't have the patience.

The vampire shuttered and screeched then exploded into ash.

Isadora let her arm fall back at her side then placed the dagger back in the sheath in her boot.

"I suppose I should thank you for the heads up but seeing as you work for Therius I'll save my breath."

He lifted his head and she saw his mouth turn up into a slight smile.

"I never expected your thanks and I do not desire it. I came to speak with you, Miss Alexiou."

"Speak with me? Why would you wish to speak to me?"

"This place is less than ideal for a proper discussion. Therius owns this town, there are eyes and ears everywhere."

She sighed and her bracelet recoiled around her wrist as the blade sheathed back into place.

"Fine, where should we go?"

"I believe my study would suffice. No one shall bother us there." He flicked his wrist and a dark opening appeared beside him.

"Why are you doing this? In all of the centuries that I have known Therius he has never sent someone to talk to me. And that attack from behind that you warned me about is giving me mixed messages."

"Therius did not send me, I sent myself."

She folded her arms and looked at him suspiciously as she walked over to him.

"Acting for yourself. That is awfully bold for someone with a blood bond." She said and grabbed his wrist, looking over the crimson diamond-shaped mark.

He pulled his wrist away. "I may be tied to him but I still have a will of my own. Besides, he needs me too much to kill me."

"Okay then, I'll talk to you on the condition that you answer my questions."