24. Don't Feel

Isadora pulled away and turned around as her heart continued to beat rapidly against her chest. She wrapped her arms around herself as her eyes looked about, unable to focus on anything in front of her. These feelings were swirling inside her like a storm. She had to take hold of these emotions, she had to force her heart back into its cage.

"Isadora... I-"

She shut her eyes tightly. "You don't need me, Robin. When I leave, your life will go back to normal. When we defeat Therius together and you are able to gain that closure that you seek you will move on without me."

Robin gently took her shoulders and turned her toward him. He searched her eyes.

"I don't want to move on without you. Wherever you are is the place I want to be. Isadora... can't you understand what I'm trying to say?"

Isadora didn't know how to respond. He had left her completely speechless. She took a step back, her foot slipped and she started to fall backward.

Robin pulled her back and she fell into him. Her head lay against his chest as her face began to feel warm. A fluttering sensation entered her heart. Feelings and more feelings and she didn't know what they meant or how to take hold of them and push them away. In all these centuries she had never felt anything like this.

Robin rubbed her arms as she slowly pulled away and looked up into his concerned eyes.

"Are you okay?"

She avoided his gaze and nodded. "Yes... I'm fine... I can't be hurt, remember?"

He gave a half smile as his arms fell back to his sides. "Right."

She moved her hair behind her ear and looked left toward the horizon.

"Isadora, what I'm trying to say is I have feelings for you. Ever since that day, our eyes met in the hallway at school my feelings for you have continued to grow deeper and deeper. I wasn't sure I was ever going to meet someone who made me feel like this but I have and that person is you. Isadora, I am falling in love with you."

She turned back to him.

Robin smiled as his eyes glinted in the moonlight.

Isadora put her hand to her chest and clutched her blouse. He was falling in love with her?

"Robin, this is a mistake, believe me."

"What do you mean?"

"You should give your heart to someone who can accept it. Someone who deserves it. I'm not that person."

"What? Isadora, there is no one else in my heart but you. There is no one more worthy of my affection than you. Please, just tell me if you feel the same." He said and took a step toward her.

"It doesn't matter how I feel." She looked down at the roofing.

"Doesn't matter? How can it not matter?"

She sighed and shut her eyes tightly. "Listen, Robin, I swore an oath a long time ago that I would never fall in love with anyone. When my Mother died I took on her legacy. You see, the slayers, there was another title we held. Huntress. The slayer order revered and worshiped Artemis The Goddess Of The Hunt. When I became a slayer, I swore discipleship to her. And as one of her disciples and as a huntress I can never be in a relationship. But It also runs deeper than that. I felt nothing when I gave up the possibility of love because I knew that it was impossible anyway. Robin, you need to understand I'm immortal and as an immortal nothing can come from love except pain for everyone involved."

"