11. Usa

Gal opened his eyes to see a blurry silhouette. He blinked, and everything went into focus.

"Tristan..." He muttered.

"Yeah, it's me. What in the world happened to you?" He asked and scooted the wooden stool closer to him.

"Therius." He replied and put his hand to his head.

Tristan leaned away and nodded in disbelief. "You really are something going up against Therius alone."

"If it helps I wasn't planning on running into him. Adonis sensed something and pursued it. Naturally, I followed." He tried to sit up.

Tristan put a hand on his shoulder. "Hey, take it easy, you may be immortal, Gally, but you're not indestructible. You just had a hole torn through you."

Gal laid back and rolled his eyes. "Thanks for reminding me. Where is Isadora?"

"She still isn't back yet."

She still wasn't back? Therius had sent Riktor after her. He didn't want her to face him alone. He knew she could take care of herself but this was more complicated. This was personal.

"So, how did I get back here? I thought I saw someone catch me back there but it was unclear..."

"I brought you back." A woman's voice echoed from across the room.

Gal turned to see a woman sitting on the staircase. She was wearing a white head scarf, white-rimmed sunglasses, a black halter dress, and heels.

"Who are you?" Gal asked.

She smiled. "I don't answer personal questions."

Tristan sighed as he rolled up the sleeves of his white dress shirt. "And people say I haven't changed. Fine, just sit there quietly until Izzie gets back." He rested his elbows on his knees.

She crossed her legs, then pulled a cigarette and lighter out from her purse. "Izzie? Is that what you call her now? Whatever happened to calling her master?"

Tristan looked at her over his shoulder and glared. "She and I became close over the centuries. We're friends."

She took a draft from her cigarette. "Is that right? I always assumed you were a sort of pet she kept around to entertain her. A friend you say? We'll see about that."

"You really are something. You know, just because you met her first does not make you special, alright?" Tristan stated.

Gal watched them bicker like children. "So, I take it you two know each other?"

Tristan nodded. "Unfortunately. Just stay on her good side and you'll survive."

She blew smoke through her nose, then left her cigarette in her mouth as she spoke. "So, judging by that special sword you have, I assume you must be a knight. Where did she find a living relic like yourself?"

"I don't answer personal questions." He replied.

She laughed. "Fiery, no wonder she keeps you around. Well, then, tell me, dead boy, how is my girl doing? You haven't been giving her any trouble have you?"

Tristan tensed up. "Of course not."

Gal raised his brows. He was scared of her. Whoever she was, Tristan was genuinely properly scared of her. Who was this woman?

 Who was this woman?