9

Despite the worries that the future seemed to bring, the girls ate, drank and chatted pleasantly. Rio and Nagisa were talking about the Halo festival sponsored by Millennium. Mutsuki fawned over Makoto, Mika and Aru talked about handbags and clothing accessories, Seia questioned Haruka about the meaninglessness of life and the intrinsic human fear of the end of everything. Kayoko had put on her headphones to avoid the fox-eared girl's strange questions. Enjoying every bite, Kayoko checked her cell phone. Her finger slid over the cell phone screen to see the new postings on Chirper, the Prefect Team had shared something about the most problematic clubs in Gehenna; the Kronos School of Journalism, a news about infiltration and impersonation, however, the one that caught her attention the most was about a certain club that was hanging around the area.

''I've heard excellent reviews of this restaurant.'' The sound of boots echoed in the restaurant. "I hope you can satisfy my hunger for a good evening.'' Haruna said with her rifle slung over her shoulder.

The number one champion in all of Kivotos in eating competitions expressed that she hoped they had enough food. Izumi asked if they had caramelized squid with chocolate beef salad. Junko's face reflected the churning in her stomach when she heard what Izumi wanted to eat.

''Haruna?'' Makoto asked.

''Haruna-senspai!'' Mutsuki threw herself into the arms of the president of the Gourmet Research Society Club.

''Gokigenyou!''

''H-H-Haruna-senpai!'' Expressed Aru.

''Ara, ara, Aru! And so did Makoto and Kayoko, I see. Mm... I haven't had the pleasure with the others yet.''

''So she is one of the most dangerous students in the Gehenna district,'' Mika looked her over from head to toe.

''I didn't expect such recognition from such a glamorous lady.''

''It wasn't any kind of praise...''

''Still, that title should be conferred on Hina. There's no one who wants to cross that woman's path when she sets her mind to something.''

''Hina again. There's nothing she can do against me.''

''Nothing except effortlessly putting you in your place.''

''Basically, she's the one who keeps a minimum of order in the Gehenna district.''

''My academy would be better off without her.''

''That's something I'd like to see," said Nagisa.

''Well, if you'll excuse us, we have to go to the kitchen,'' said Akari and Izumi, getting going.

''And if you allow us, I'll go find a place for us.''

''Sit down with us!'' Said Mutsuki, "You don't have to blow something up if you don't get the service you expect. Makoto-sama is paying.''

''What did you say?''

''Blow up?!'' -Makoto's voice was silenced by the guest chairwomen's question.

''Joking...'' She tried to calm them down with a smile, ''But if Makoto doesn't want to...''

''Huh? Hey, don't... W-w-wait...''

''Can't they sit with us?'' Mustuki's kitten eyes coaxed the president of Gehenna.

The girls pushed a couple of tables together. Makoto sat at the head of the two. On the right side she had the rival Gehenna chairwomen along with Kayoko and Haruka and on the left side were Mutsuki, Haruna, Aru, Junko and a couple of seats set aside for Izumi and Akari who returned to the table accompanied by the fearful waitresses. The blonde hair from the Gourmet Research Society Club was carrying her own tray full of food and Izumi was doing the same with a tray full of culinary sacrileges. A buffet had been served for the others. Makoto tried to imagine the cost of that with her mouth open. Once the food was served, the diners began to opt to leave. Even though figures like Nagisa, Rio and, though not as popular as those two, Makoto were among that group of thirteen people, the fact that at the table were two unpopular and dangerous Gehenna groups, as well as the infamous Trinity witch, erased all sense of comfort and security. Mika could hear some of them leaving muttering her name and nickname.

The president of the culinary arts fanatic club proceeded to introduce her companions as well as herself. The first to introduce herself, at Haruna's request, was the freshman in Problem Solver 68. Haruka said she wasn't that important and that it was okay if she was ignored by someone as cool as her. Haruna did not take the extensive refusal for an answer. She encouraged her to stand up and introduce herself as she said she reminded her of Aru a couple of years ago. Haruka saw her boss. Her eyes lit up. With a tender smile, she proceeded to say her full name, school year and hobby... Though she couldn't say it without stammering and making the others shudder at her depressingly low self-esteem and ideas of destruction. Haruna asked Aru to take good care of Haruka. Rio was next to introduce herself, then Nagisa and then Seia. There was a moment of silence. Mika looked out the window, at the nothingness behind the glass. Nagisa tried to apologize, but Haruna interrupted her by beckoning. Calling Mika by 'Milady', she caught her attention. Trinity's dreaded pink-haired leader let out a small smile.

''Ah... I guess it's not right for you to call someone like me, 'Milady'. Only sensei dares to treat me like a princess even knowing everything I did...'' Her eyes kept looking through the glass.

''Certainly, your fame precedes you. In fact, the reputation of each of you is very well known, but that is just a frivolous facade and who am I to judge? All I know is that it would be disrespectful to sit down to eat without knowing the name of the person at the table with me.''

''If you insist so much... I am the representative of Trinity's now smallest faction, the Pater faction. My name is Misono, Mika or lately better known as 'Trinity's Witch'.''

All eyes were on her.

''Kakkoii...'' It came out saying to Aru.

Mika gave her a sidelong glance. The seemingly apathetic expression made the head of the Problem Solver nervous.

''I-I-I mean... I-It's a really cool nickname... Really cool... That's what I think...'' The red-haired sophomore whispered.''

Haruka, Haruna and her classmates agreed with what Aru said.

''It really is. It's a splendid nickname for the strongest student in our school. Besides, it gives a certain... How would Makoto put it...? Superiority, greatness, genius to our school.''

The gray-haired chairwoman looked into her companion's eyes with a soft smile. Mika's eyes glazed over, revealing a certain sparkle behind those words. The silence between them seemed to be long, though in reality it wasn't even a couple of seconds before Mika burst out laughing.

''W-what was that?'' Mika laughed uncontrollably.

Initiated by Makoto's laughter, little by little the other girls began to laugh along with Mika. The almost empty restaurant was filled with mirth as Nagisa tried to keep her composure; the blush was creeping up from her neck to the tips of her ears. Smoke was billowing from her head.

''I-I need to hear it again to record it," Misono said without trying to stop laughing.

Without anyone seeing it coming, Nagisa took a cinnamon roll from Izumi's tray to suck it into Mika's mouth. The others were puzzled for a moment only to resume laughing harder. After swallowing the roll, Mika complained to her and Izumi that she had taken her food. The laughter died down. Some of them were bent over the table from stomach pain. The president of Gehenna wiped her eyes and said:

''Ha!What are you saying? Of course, there is no other school greater thanGehenna,'' those words were the soothing words the girls needed. They allregained their posture and seriousness, ''Why are you ignoring me?!''