36

Like many of the schools in Kivotos, Gehenna Academy is in the center of the district. The C&C club had been stopped by Problem Solver 68 and the Make-Up Work club was being measured in battle with the three remaining members of the Gourmet Research Society. In terms of distance the club that had come the farthest was the Foreclosure Task Force, although they would have to fight too if they wanted to reach Sensei.

Having the advantage of knowing the terrain, Ako, Iori and Chinatsu were proving to be a problem for the club from Abydos. Shiroko was trying to charge head-on into the enemy covered by Serika and Nonomi. Iori's wide attack range frustrated the plan. She had the luxury of finishing off the support attack before going for the main target. Her agility and speed were to be feared.

''What is she made of?!'' Serika exclaimed angrily from the ground.

Nonomi was straining her machine gun bullets to keep up with the brown-skinned student. Shiroko ran without looking back. There was a priority in the mission and it was important to accomplish it at all costs. Ayane was helping Serika when Nonomi fell.

''I'm sorry it's not personal.''

Ayane drew her pistol called 'Common Sense', even knowing that the rapid fire of her teammates had not been enough to stop her. Ayane was barely aiming when Iori fired.

''I didn't think... That the Prefect Team would be willing to collaborate with President Makoto's delusional plans...'' Ayane said with the crippling pain in her shoulder.

''Hmmp, we're not doing it for Makoto. Hina thinks it's best for Sensei and if she says so, we have no reason to doubt.

Serika tried to fire at will with the gun Ayane had thrown away. Iori disarmed her with a kick and pointed the rifle at her face.

''You'd better stop resisting. Don't waste our time.''

Iori pulled out a radio. Shiroko was still within sight of the brown-skinned girl.

''Ako, how's everything over there?''

From the rooftop of a three-story building, Ako could see the gray-haired girl from Abydos High School coming.

''She's about to arrive at the intersection. Leave this to Chinatsu and me. Chinatsu, ready?''

''I'm waiting for your signal.''

Three shots rang out across the street. One hit the side of Shiroko's abdomen. The other two missed her. The sophomore looked up unfazed. She kept moving forward despite the gunfire.

''Chinatsu, Now.''

Shiroko arrived at the intersection. The Prefect Team medic was aiming for the Abydos girl's head. A direct shot to the head would render her unconscious. Her heart was pounding. She could almost hear it. She was a medical woman, one who preferred to help rather than hurt, but if it had to be done to prevent a greater evil, there was no reason to hesitate. Time stretched as Shiroko stepped into Chinatsu's sights.

''Now.'' Chinatsu said to herself.

Her hands froze as she noticed the Abydos student glancing sideways at her. Shiroko extended her left arm. Her finger was on the trigger.

''You won't do it!'' Said Ako pointing from above.

Right in front of Ako a drone descended with a load of missiles.

''Hell!''

The top of the building exploded.

It all had to come down to who would pull the trigger first, the medic or the fearless battle girl? Shiroko's gun went flying. Iori in one leap had reached her. Shiroko clicked her tongue. Iori fired, but the bullet missed its target. The wolf-eared girl rolled forward dodging the shot and retrieving the gun at the same time. She ran to hide behind a truck followed by Chinatsu's bullets. In an exchange of fire and melee blows, Iori went for her.

''Now,we have to get up," said Serika, "We have to help Shiroko and give asmuch time as Hoshino needs.''