14

March 12. 6:00 P.M. Haruka and Aru were coming out of a sentou. The hot water helped them wash off the smell of gunpowder, the dirt and relax a bit. They had had a long day. Aru only had in mind getting to sleep in the office.

The freshman had asked her senpai to accompany her into town to get her birthday present and something Kayoko had asked her for. Aru was very insistent that she didn't need to get her something for her birthday, but hearing her say that she could understand not wanting to get a gift from someone useless and annoying like her, Aru had no choice but to agree to accompany her and get the gift. They went to various bookstores and shopping malls. Before the middle, the plant-fanatic student had gotten the gift for Aru. However, the assignment Kayoko had given her was another matter. They could not find it anywhere in Gehenna, Trinity or Utnapishtim, so there was only one option left, to go to the area where the underworld of Kivotos operated, the infamous black market. It didn't take Haruka long to find someone who could get what Kayoko had asked for. That person was even willing to give it to her at no monetary cost in exchange for one condition. The guy showed them a photo. In that photo was the image of a runaway student from Arius Branch School, Joumae Saori.

''I don't want to meet that woman again... Although I admit that she is a pretty cool outlaw,'' said Aru reminiscing about the terrible mission.

''S-sorry...'' Haruka apologized

The bag with Kayoko's order was heavy. The president had offered to carry it, but Haruka wouldn't let her, excusing that it was her birthday.

''Aru-sama's birthday wasn't supposed to be like this...''

''Don't worry,'' the red hair patted Haruka's head affectionately, "It's the duty of a boss to see to it that the employees are..." Aru opened the door to the office.

''SURPRISE, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ARU!!!!''

Both girls, terrified, hugged each other with a loud scream.

''Ah, that's right. Surprise, Aru-sama,'' Haruka said with her face buried in Aru's chest.

The office was decorated with streamers, balloons and birthday decorations. There were the other two members of Problem Solver 68 were accompanied by Sensei, the girls from the Foreclosure Task Force and the Make up Work club. They were all wearing party glasses of all kinds, but the most eye-catching were the glasses with mustaches and fake noses. Serika complained to them why it had taken them so long to arrive. A chuckle came out of Aru. The cat-eared girl's scolding lacked impact because of her appearance. Kayoko saw the bag Haruka was holding.

''Huh, you got it.''

''Y-yes... It was much harder than I thought.''

''What did you ask her for?''

She took the bag from Haruka's hands and handed it to Aru.

''Your birthday present.''

''I risked my own life for my birthday present?! W-what can be so valuable that it's hard to find?!'' Aru asked, pulling out what was inside.

Her face turned as red as the cover of the book. The Make-Up Work club and Sensei knew very well which book that was.

''Kayoko-san asked me to get the whole series of that book for her.''

''The whole series?!'' Shouted in unison those who knew what they were talking about.

Inside the bag were five other books. Koharu approached the bag like a mosquito attracted by the light.

''That's worth 12 thousand pyroxene without a problem,'' said Hanako.

''12 thousand?!'' shouted everyone present. None of them doubted Hanako's expertise to value the gift.

''Who did you have to kill?''

''W-we didn't have to kill anyone,'' Haruka said in her self-conscious voice, "They told us they would give it to us if we caught a girl named Joumae Saori.

''Saori?!...'' Asked Sensei, but he was interrupted before saying anything else.

''Yes, but it was all a trap," said Aru, "She was offered a lot of pyroxene in exchange for trapping us. They wanted us to weaken each other in order to...

''...So that the guy Haruka 'talked' to could have his revenge, am I wrong?'' Kayoko questioned.

Aru agreed.

''So, what happened?'' Asked Sensei.

''Saori realized what was going on and made a deal with us. She would help us get the books in exchange for us together putting a stop to that black market agent who dared to make fun of Aru-sama. Saori-san is a very good person,'' A smile broke out on Haruka's face.

Sensei let go a sigh of relief to hear that everything had ended well for them.

''Don't they know where she is?'' Azusa asked.

''No, but she gave me her number. Do you want it?''

''No... It's okay...''

''Well, we already talked a lot about the mishaps you had. It's time to celebrate and we should start by eating what Kayoko and Sensei prepared,'' said Hanako.

''By the way, Aru-sama, my gift is not as valuable as Kayoko's, but I hope you like it.''

The shy Problem Solver 68 member gave Aru a small square black box. Aru opened it. Inside was a white handkerchief that had one of the club members' names written in red embroidery in each corner and, in the center, '便利屋68'. Aru hugged his kouhai tightly.

Banging on the door, a rather familiar face in Gehenna introduced herself.

''Happy birthday, Aru!'' Haruna entered carrying a sack.

The other members of the Gourmet Research Society club also showed up and like the president, they were carrying a sack.

''H-Haruna-sa...?! Haruna... I didn't expect to see her so soon..." said Aru.

Sensei didn't expect it either.

''Oh! Santa has arrived," said Hoshino.

''Santa?''

'' I don't think santa works in March or has such a slender body,'' Serika responded to her senpai's comment.

''A sexy santa visiting you in the spring sounds like a successful business idea and a date Sensei would look forward to celebrating.''

''Why d'you a-assume that I would want something like that?!'' The educator's face was so red you could feel heat coming off of it.

''I don't hear you denying it,'' said Serika with her accusing look.

Sensei got a knot in his stomach.

''What do you have there?'' Hoshino asked.

''It's our job,'' Said Junko

''And food," said Izumi.

''You've been eating it?!'' Junko grabbed Izumi's cheeks and stretched them, "I was wondering why there's so little if we haven't sold hardly anything.

''I still don't understand what it is.''

''It's roasted corn,'' The answer came from Haruna.

''Uehehe... It smells delicious. Can I have one?''

''Confidently.''

''Don't give it away! And you, you tasteless hippopotamus, stop eating it! Akari, do something.''

''Here's more.'' Akari offered the other girls.

''AHHHHH!!!''