37

The street was in flames. One explosion after another deafened Neru who was running through the fire. A duffle bag appeared right in front of her. Her shoes skidded on the asphalt. A ''click'' was heard inside the unexpected object. The president of the Cleaning & Clearing club only had time to cross her arms before a fiery shockwave sent her flying and left a hole in the street.

''She must be kept at bay at all costs!'' Kayoko exclaimed.

Like a cat, Neru landed on her feet. The sleeves of her jacket were burned and the skin on her arms was red and blackened. Her arms were burning. Through the smoke and fire, Aru could feel the little third-year student's rage. Aru put her eye over the scope, loaded the rifle, her halo glowing just like her trusty Red Wine/Admire with a reddish hue. The discharge resembling the sound of a cannon shattered the glass on that street. Flames and smoke billowed in the face of the violent blast of golden bullets. Neru's pupils, as well as her halo, her Twin Dragons and part of her hair, glowed with a golden color. The impact of the ExSkill on its targets shook the place. Both attacks hit their targets. A truly black smokescreen filled even the interior of the shattered buildings.

''The attack power of that girl is tremendous.'' Neru gasped with a smile.

The C&C leader's legs and arms were shaking. She wiped the blood from the corner of her mouth. Ignoring the pain, she raised her left arm. She fired without hesitation. Out of the smoke appeared Kayoko, who could barely dodge that short shower of lead. The gazes of the two students met. Kayoko's halo glowed quickly. Neru felt how the Gehenna girl's gaze penetrated inside her being making her feel so small and fragile that she doubted herself, made her fear from her heart. She thought of running away. She took a step back; a voice echoed from inside her mind.

''Run away? Me? I'd rather let Toki kick my ass all day or have sensei treat me like a little girl than run away,'' her ego screamed at her.

Sign Double Zero bit her lips. A pair of red strands ran down her chin. Kayoko frowned. She raised her pistol and fired point-blank. Neru covered herself with her left arm unable to move from where she stood.

''We can't waste the opportunity she gave us!'' Kayoko shouted.

''Of course not!'' Mutsuki appeared shooting from the other side with her lovely mischievous grin.

Neru raised her other arm. She shot hitting the target. Before retreating, Mustsuki threw something at her. Kayoko had disappeared. A bag hit Neru's chest.

''This isn't over.''

Another loud explosion was heard.

''If I didn't know the president was there, I would say the war has already started,'' Said Asuna listening to the commotion many blocks away.

''Are you sure you can afford to talk while fighting?''

''You'd be surprised at the things I'm capable of.''

Karin's Hawkeye's bullet separated Asuna from her opponent.

''So much talk and so little action.''

Theyaimed a semi-automatic pistol at Karin without even being seen. Asuna tried totake her by surprise, but was stopped in her tracks by the rifle shots inSaori's other hand. Neither of them could avoid the bullets.