25

11:13 P.M. March 13th. Route 24. Kirino screamed in panic. At last they had entered the highway, Kanna put the gas pedal to the metal. The engine roared making itself heard in the middle of the night like a beast. Another explosion tried to impede the patrol's progress. That last jolt had almost made her lose control of the car.

''Sensei, could you see what they are doing?''

In the back seat of the patrol car, Sensei was unconscious. A trickle of drool ran down his chin as his body swayed with the motion of the patrol car. It had been a very long and tiring day. He only got a bite to eat at the end of it and, as if that wasn't enough, a blow to the head as he entered the patrol car robbed him of his strength. The only thing holding him in place was the seat belt.

''Damn it! Fubuk...''

The lazy Valkyrie student drooled and snored on the club advisor's shoulder. Kirino shook her begging her to wake up; she was just as unconscious as Sensei was. Another explosion.

''Shit!''

''Ah! Here they come, captain! What do we do? What do we do?'' Kirino asked.

Through the rearview mirror they could see the black vehicle with a tinted windshield that was causing them trouble.

''What are they doing?''

They had taken something out of the window. Kanna could not see well. It was long and they were clearly aiming it at them. The roar of the shot covered Kirino's voice shouting that it was a bazooka. The rocket exploded off to the side of the patrol car leaving a smokescreen where it hit. Kanna's car skidded. The driver's eyes were wide open and her heart was in her hands. Out of the smokescreen, the black car appeared. They were ready to fire the next rocket. Kanna turned the steering wheel violently when she heard the shot. Fubuki and Sensei turned from side to side. For a moment they opened their eyes, but they went blank as their heads collided with each other.

''I have no choice... Kirino!''

''M-mande?''

''Shoot the tires of the car!''

''What?!''

''Fast!''

The Valkyrie freshman's heart was racing. She opened the window. She stuck half her body out and aimed at the tires of the black car. The impacts on the trunk of the patrol car made Kanna jump.

''Told you to shoot at their tires, not at us!''

''I swore I aimed at their tire...!'' Said Kirino in despair and with teary eyes.

''Shoot again... I'm telling you, not at us!''

The black car was getting closer and closer. Kirino closed her eyes and with a shout full of frustration fired until the bullets in her gun were empty. A couple of the bullets hit the hood and windshield of the black car and the rest hit one of the tires. The enemy car spun out of control for a moment.

''Hold on!''

Kanna slammed on the brakes and shifted into reverse. The trunk of the patrol car hit the grill of the black car causing it to lose control and skid. Quickly, Kanna shifted gears and accelerated.

''Are you all right back there?''

Sensei and Fubuki's face were on their laps and Kirino was almost on the ground.

''All right," said Kirino with a thumbs up.

''Let's hurry and check if that's Sensei over there,'' said Kanna seeing in the distance the intersection that led to Trinity and Gehnna.

''If he wasn't Sensei, why did they attack the police station and follow us?

''You're right... If it hadn't been for Umemono Kyara and Wakiyaku Ichigo, we wouldn't have been able to run away... Now there are many questions and...''