46

Sensei stuffed the last piece of beef tenderloin into his mouth. He noticed how the clouds receded to let the moonlight fall on Kivotos. His mind was caught watching the nothingness between him and the moon. The plate on which he had eaten grilled beef tenderloin with red wine sauce accompanied by truffled mashed potatoes and sautéed asparagus was taken away from him. The gourmet club member sheepishly asked him if he liked the main course. He did not answer. Haruna's heart shrank at the silence.

''Sensei?" The student asked.

''Ah? What happened?''

''Did you like... the main course?''

''Of course! You have quite a talent for cooking. You should join Fuuka's club. I'm sure she would help you improve your skills.'' Her eyes lit up and her cheeks blushed.

''Actually, I'd rather eat than cook.''

''I thought so,'' He replied with a smile.

''I'd only join the School Lunch Club for one reason... Even though I'm about to finish my third year...''

''Really? Which one?''

Her heart was racing. Her lips trembled.

''If... If there's someone who wants to eat it every day...''

''It would be great to be able to eat like this every day.''

''You think so?'' She was obviously happy to hear that.

''Akari, Junko and Izumi would surely enjoy it.''

''That's what we have Fuuka for.''

They both laughed. Fuuka, who was still in the kitchen tied up, felt a shiver and sneezed.

When they finished laughing, anxiety swept over Haruna. It was time. Everything that was happening at that dinner and outside had purpose for what was to come.

''I'll serve you dessert. Don't look.''

''Thank you!''

He turned his eyes back to the moon. He could hear some rumbling in the distance.

''Am I hearing gunshots?''

''What? No, no, no... It must be your imagination.''

''Are you sure? So, what is it?''

''Fireworks.''

''And why don't I see them?''

''Because exploding them on the ground is more exciting.''

Sensei imagined the situation. He accepted the idea. After all, he was in the Gehenna district.

''Okay, it's ready. Close your eyes.''

''Ok...''

''Now, open your mouth...''

She put something in it. He immediately felt a bitter taste, but an even sweeter one filled his palate almost at the same time.''

''This is... This is your matcha chocolate.'' He opened his eyes.

Haruna was sitting on the table, almost in front of him. In her hand was a small transparent bag with a few matcha chocolates and, next to her, a tray on which was a white box with a red ribbon. That box looked familiar to him as did the notebook on top of the box.

''You are correct.'' She said with a confident smile.

''Did you fight the demon in the fridge again so you could make them?''

''Yes...'' Sighed. ''Haha... Izumi was very helpful...''

''I think it's very tender and brave of Fuuka to let her kouhai practice her style as much as she wants.''