15

Most of the guests, as well as the birthday girl and her club members, attacked the bags of roasted corn while Junko, almost on the verge of tears, tried to stop them with the help of Serika, Ayane and Hifumi who couldn't help but feel sorry for her.

Haruna watched the scene with pride.

''This will strengthen our ties with the other schools.''

''We will starve to death if we don't stop them!''

Ignoring the angry red-haired girl's words, Haruna glanced around the place noticing Sensei's presence. He was standing near the table with a scowl on his face and his cheeks quasi-inflated complaining between his teeth about the confidence and lack of respect that his students have for him at the same time. Haruna and Sensei's gaze met. He gawked at her. For a moment they were just looking at each other until she walked towards him with a smile.

''Sensei, it's good to see you..." She adjusted her hair.

It was hard to tell what he was thinking. Since there was no answer, she offered him a corn. He looked at the corn and then at the Gehenna student.

''I guess... I guess you don't like it?

''Oh! No... N-not It's not that... I was just thinking... Apparently they are very tasty...'' He took the corn she offered him, ''even Kayoko forgot what we cooked when she tasted them.''

''Did you cook this?''

''Kayoko helped me a lot, but basically, yes.''

''May I?''

''Go ahead...''

Haruna took a disposable plate and stole one of the quesadillas from Sensei's plate. It was hot. She could feel the warmth of it even through the plate. She smelled the food. The aroma whetted her taste buds and appetite. She took a bite of the dish made by Sensei. She savored it and then swallowed it.

''So, what do you think?''

The warm cheese stretched into threads as she put the food back on the plate. She rolled the cheese around a bit with her tongue and then cut the strands with her teeth. She tasted her own lips. She closed her eyes. Her expression said nothing.

''Please, don't destroy the office...''

Haruna smiled and laughed.

''It's delicious. Very tasty.'' She ate some again.

''Really?''

She nodded her head.

''You're not lying to destroy the S.C.H.A.L.E. tower later, are you?''

''Not at all, I feel like this is on the same level as that ramen and taiyaki we ate,'' her answer was sincere.

Sensei paused to think about how much he liked what they had eaten that time.

After the corn frenzy died down, the party continued calmly... At least for a while. Haruna tried to get Sensei's attention, but it was impossible. Shiroko was also competing for his attention, however, Sensei was there not only to celebrate but to help and the event itself was for someone else so they were in the background. The gifts were given and the cake was split. The time had come for Mutsuki's gift.

''Happy birthday, Aru!'' The white-haired imp hugged her companion. "We've been through a lot and made a lot of memories together, and I wanted this party to be another one of those memories.''

''You mean that... Y-you...''

''She planned this whole party for you,'' Sensei said.

The way Mutsuki was smiling almost made her look like an angel. Aru's eyes lit up with a watery glow.

''B-but when...?''

''Yesterday, she took advantage of the time in the infirmary to get us organized.''

''I didn't realize it until today when we were having breakfast.'' Kayoko said.

''So, going to get what Kayoko asked for, was that just a distraction?''

''Yes... I knew it was going to take time, although I never thought it would be so difficult and cost so much. I guess it was lucky you got it.''

''And that's not all.'' Mutsuki said, "Do you know what elephant paste is?''

Aru, Hoshino and Serika literally imagined an elephant brushing its teeth.

Sensei and Kayoko looked up at the ceiling. They could almost see what those three were imagining. However, the reason they had raised their heads was another reason. There was a bunch of balloons hanging above them that seemed to have something inside.

''So that's why she was asking for the liquid soap, the mint, the yeast...''

''I told you to always prepare for the worst.''

''Happy birthday!'' Shouted Mutsuki.

Jets of hydrogen peroxide were sprayed at the same time as the balloons above them burst. Apparently the formula had been modified a bit to make the reaction faster. The temperature rose rapidly. A burst of color filled the office with a light, minty-smelling foam.

''Don't let this stuff get in your eyes or mouth!'' Shouted Sensei.

''Ifm'd ee Kapton kuandy'' Izumi asked with a mouthful of the paste.

''AH! Spit that out, spit it out!''