38

Minutes after leaving Neru, Asuna and her companions advanced towards their objective in the academy. They were passing through the commercial area of Gehenna. Akane reported what happened to Noa and Yuuka.

From what you told me, the shooter, the red-haired girl with delusions of grandeur, but too clumsy to keep up the appearance, must be the president of Problem Solver 68, Rikuhachima Aru. A Gehenna troublemaker who has gained notoriety lately.

''Then the other two must be members of her club.''

''That's right. A bomb specialist and the club's strategist.''

''Oh! A bomb specialist,'' Akane said interested.

''However...'' Yuuka sounded doubtful.

''What's wrong?''

''There should be one more member of that club.''

''One more?''

''Watch out!'' Karin warned over the communicator after the sound of a gunshot.

Some rubber-capped pipes rolled up to them. Asuna wasn't sure what that was, but Akane was quick to identify what it was. Sign Zero Three pulled her companion out of uniform. The tubes spun releasing a white mist that engulfed them. Akane instantly covered her mouth and nose and urged her senpai to do the same. The two C&C agents put their backs against each other. Someone stepped into the smoke screen. The girls couldn't see very well, but they heard very clearly the unmistakable sound of a shotgun barrel.

''I'm sorry, please die, please die, please die, please die!''

Akane and Asuna separated after the roar of the pellets. Zero One had been chosen as the target. As she ran, she counted the shots.

''Two... Three... Four... Five... Six...''

The last shot was fired. Without wasting any time, Asuna aimed and fired towards where she thought her opponent was. The attacker could see clearly behind a gas mask. She recoiled as she saw Asuna advancing towards her. She was hurt by Akane's gun.

''I'll give you a piece of advice. If you plan to make a surprise attack, shoot first and then talk.''

The masked woman flashed a thumbs-up and then lowered it. The ground Akane stood on exploded. The mist cleared a little. Asuna was now almost on top of her opponent. The girl in the mask pumped the shotgun with one hand and fired hitting Zero One in the stomach.

''A seventh shot?!'' She wondered in pain

Asuna fell to the ground. The girl with the shotgun threw a small quibble towards the fallen agent and readied her thumb for the detonator. A bullet tore through the sparse mist to deflect the small bomb. A fireball appeared in the air upon impact. The attacker saw Karin load her rifle and place her on the scope. She pulled out a couple of smoke bombs. With a couple of shots, Akane disarmed her. With no other options, she decided to make a retreat. Karin helped Asuna up. Akane had gone ahead to go after the little student. The other girls followed her.

''I'll go after her.'' The girl with glasses indicated, "Go to the academy.''

''I'll go with you," said Karin.

''No need.'' Akane adjusted her glasses. "It's a dishonor to be attacked like that with a bomb. Don't worry. I'll take care of it.''

The reflection of the glasses and Akane's smile made them cringe. The three C&C members continued on the same path. The street before they reached the intersection where they would part was narrower. The Gehenna girl had stopped there, they were almost out of the shopping area, she turned to the C&C agents and pointed her shotgun at them. Karin stopped and did the same with her rifle as she put the masked woman in her sights. Akane fired. The girl with the shotgun didn't flinch. She kept her sights on those two. The surrounding buildings exploded. They were immediately covered by dust, black smoke and debris. Neru's kouhai were disoriented. Karin was on the ground, Akane was trying to get up and Asuna was trying to focus, to guess where the enemy would attack. She tilted her head to the left. The pellets grazed her cheek. The masked woman suddenly saw Asuna's rifle in her face. Her heart shrank with fright. She jumped back before she pulled the trigger. The masked woman shot back. Zero One dodged smoothly. She moved from side to side. It was impossible for the Gehenna girl to lock her sights on her opponent. Her stomach ached. Asuna's knee was sinking into the masked girl's belly. The third-year Millennium student fired at her opponent's legs and torso. She tried to strike back; however, Asuna was better suited for such close combat. Zero One was ready to punch her opponent's lights out. Her rifle was deflected with one blow. The bullet was lost in the sky. A girl in a cap and robotic mask looked her in the eye.

''Haruka,I'll take care of her.''