Chapter 3

"OFF WITH YOUR HEAD!" Yuu heard the sharp click of metal and a distressed meow from Grim. She turned around to see Grim bristling in a corner at two boys.

"Wh-what gives? My fire ain't workin'!" He cried, resorting to pulling on a heart-shaped collar.

"Until I deign to remove that collar, you won't be using any magic. You're naught but a pet cat now." A boy with red hair announced, placing something at his belt with a proud posture.

"M-meoWHAT?! I ain't nobody's pet-NOTHING!" Grim hissed. Yuu watched as the red boy said something she couldn't make out, earning an over-the-top laugh from the boy with glasses next to him.

"Yuu! Was I not clear that you are expected to take responsibility for your familiar? Now discipline your-" Crowley turned toward her, an air of authority around him, tone accusatory. Yuu couldn't help the rage that bubbled up in her chest.

"Dammit I said HE'S NOT MINE!!!!"

Crowley gaped for a moment, speechless at her outburst. "What's that? It isn't yours?"

Yuu took a deep breath, steadying herself before continuing. "I've told you repeatedly that it isn't mine!"

"Oh...Is that so?" The headmage looked awkward, avoiding eye contact.

"Yes, that is so. Geez!" She bristled at Crowley in annoyance.

He, in turn, cleared his throat. "Then I shall have it expelled from campus. I shall even spare it from being served as dinner. My, but I AM kind ...Someone take this away, please." Crowley gestured for several students to come and drag the little monster away by the collar.

"Nooooo! Let me gooooo!" Grim yowled, his claws raking against the carpeted floor in an attempt to postpone his ejection. "Y-You fools better remember my name! Cause I'm gonna go down in the annals of magic history! Just you wait!" Were the last words that Grim called out before the doors were shut.

Yuu felt a pang of guilt in her chest, listening to the fuss he was making as he was dragged down the hallway.

"I feel kind of sorry for him..." She mumbled.

The room was quiet for a moment, the atmosphere heavy and suffocating. Students' clothing was singed and smoking, and a couple of the curtains were still on fire.

"Well, that was quite the unexpected fracas... I hereby declare that orientation has concluded! Housewardens, please escort your students back to the dorms."

Crowley announced before pausing. "...Hm? Come to think of it, I don't see the Housewarden Draconia of House Diasomnia anywhere."

Yuu huffed, dizzy from the smoke and needless stress, becoming visibly pale and choosing to sit back down on the floor as the others conversed. She kept her hands pressed protectively against her abdomen. I hope you're alright. I'll protect you. Just, please don't leave me too. She let her thoughts wander and she took deep breaths before feeling herself be shaken slightly.

"-ster Yuu!" Ah. Crowley.

Yuu looked up at him, squinting up at the headmage.

"Oh! Good! You're back. Well, Yuu. This is a most unfortunate turn of events. I'm afraid that you will not be attending Night Raven Collage after all." Crowley informed her. "Surely you realize that I cannot very well admit a student with no magical ability to my academy. But worry not. The Dark Mirror will see you safely home." He offered her his hand to help her up.

"Now, step into the gate, and visualize the place you whence you came." Crowley hinted. She gave him a nod, images of home, the little rented townhouse that her parents had raised her and her younger sisters in, her best friends, the cool air, the sight of the mountains.

Yuu shakily lifted herself up and stumbled once more before the mirror and made her way into one of the gates.

What a long dream this was.

"O Dark Mirror!" Crowley called out, so much power in his words that the lights in the room seemed to flicker. "Return this soul to where it belongs!"

Silence. The mirror was silent enough for the unease to settle in the young woman's stomach like a brick.

She heard the Headmage clear his throat anxiously. "L-let us, er...try this again. O Dark Mirror! Return this soul-"

"There is no such place." Yuu's eyes widened in surprise.

"What?" She asked, fear quickly shocking her nerves.

"There is no place in this world where these souls belong. None." The mirror stated. Did it just say, 'souls?' As in plural?!

"How can that be? My, but today is a veritable cavalcade of impossible phenomena!" Crowley said incredulously. The mirror remained silent, watching as Yuu stepped out of the gate, making her way over to Crowley.

"This has never happened throughout my long tenure. I must confess that I am at something of a loss." Crowley spoke to himself before finally turning to address her. "Tell me: From what land do you hail?"

"I'm from Colorado. In the United States." She responded nervously.

Crowley examined her for a moment, considering her words.

"I'm afraid I am not familiar with such a place." He finally said. "I am intimately acquainted with the origins of every student who has ever come here, and yet... This mysterious homeland of yours eludes me." The Crow-man said, making Yuu much more anxious than she already was.

Crowley seemed awkward, coughing into his fist in a desperate attempt to clear his throat. "Let us go to the library and look it up, shall we?" He suggested.

Yuu gave a nod, her meek demeanor seeming to put the headmage more on edge as he offered her his hand. She gratefully took it, as Crowley began to lead her in the direction of the library in which she had hidden. He grabbed several large scrolls, maps, and unrolled them. Yuu looked down and began to read. 

~~~

If  you're seeing this, thanks so much for baring with me! My name is Nyx and I'm pretty new to this whole writing thing. This is my first ever story, and I chose to publish it here to see if I could get any feedback. Please don't be afraid to write a comment letting me know what you think of this! I hope to be able to continue writing this! Thanks for reading!