Book 2, Chapter 13

Yuu watched in terror as the Lion man approached, the other boys backing away and turning to him respectfully.

"Housewarden Leona!" They cried, smiling.

"These students are trespassing on our territory!"

"Let's teach 'em a little lesson!" The third boy cackled.

From behind Leona, a familiar boy scrambled forward, grinning in amusement as he feigned a respectful greeting. "Ah, I believe we met earlier, at the cafeteria."

"Hey! It's the Grilled Cheeseburglar!" Grim hissed, as Yuu held him tighter.

"Hey now, friend. Let's not get carried away with such delicious-sounding nicknames." He grinned, revealing fangs of his own. "I have a proper name befitting my manly stature. It's Ruggie Bucchi. Don't wear it out."

The Lion's eyes narrowed as they landed on Yuu and he gave a low growl stalking forward, the boys parting to make way for him.

"Hey... I know you. You're the herbivore who stepped on my tail at the botanical gardens." He moved forward, Yuu taking a step back. Yuu was nervous as she slipped her arms into Cater's jacket (allowing Grim to clamber up to her shoulders like a parrot), leaving the sleeves hanging limply as she shielded the baby.

The two boys that flanked her looked at her in shock.

"You... You stepped on the housewarden's tail?" One asked as they both snarled, baring their teeth as their ears pinned to their heads.

"Now you're really gonna pay!"

"But I AM sorry about that!" She yelped defensively, taking another step back as Leona began to corner her. "I literally did not notice your tail!"

"'Sorry' ain't good enough!" The boys snarled, flanking Leona. Yuu noticed Ruggie's gaze trained on her.

"Oh, that's right. I thought I'd seen you somewhere. It was in the gardens, huh?" He said, sniffing the air for a moment before something seemed to click for him as well as he started moving a bit closer to Yuu.

"C'mon, Leona, Ruggie—let's beat 'em up!" One of the boys snarled, excited to tear apart the group that had entered their territory.

Leona was about to reach Yuu when Ruggie finally approached. Yuu noticed as Ruggie tugged on Leona's leather vest, whispering something in Leona's ear. Yuu's anxiety spiked as she stared at the brief interaction.

Leona's eyes were wide as he stared at Yuu for a moment, pointing as Ruggie gave a nod. Leona visibly rolled his eyes as he stood up straight, an authoritative glare fixed on the two boys, who backed up.

"Stop yappin' like a pack of wild dogs." He growled, the two boys standing straight. "You really wanna risk starting a fight before the tournament? What if you get disqualified?"

"What, so you're just gonna let 'em walk away? Not even nibble on 'em a little?!" The third boy almost whined, backing away from a glaring Deuce.

Leona snorted as if offended. "No one's lettin' anyone walk away. We're gonna resolve this with a 'friendly' game of Spelldrive." He gave the boys a malicious smirk before flashing Yuu a more interested grin. Grim, who was perched on her shoulders, shook, making Yuu also shake from the force of his trembles.

"Spelldrive?" The boys asked curiously before their grins widened in excitement.

"Yeah." Leona's voice rumbled as he turned away from Yuu, who stood staring incredulously. "After all, it doesn't violate any school rules to cast spells during a game of Spelldrive."

Ruggie, who'd managed to sneak his way behind Yuu, startled her as he released a hissing laugh. "I doubt these weaklings could endure so much as a single game."