Book 3, Chapter 10

Walking into the room, Yuu looked around, quietly trying not to be impressed at the elegant and stylish interior of the room. Behind the main desk, a large wall safe vault was placed.

"What IS this place?" Jack looked around, golden eyes training over the details of the room. "Are we really still on school property?"

Yuu looked at Azul, who seemed to bask in the clear interest that Yuu and Jack took to his office.

"Yuu, look at that huge vault... It's like some kinda bank." Jack said, gently nudging the young woman, who gave a nod, looking up briefly.

"All right, that's enough rubbernecking." Azul chided, ushering the two over to the table in the center of the room. "Please, have a seat." The young man pushed his glasses up with a pleasant smile. Yuu sat down, unsettled by Azul's predatory smile.

"So, what would you like to discuss with me?" He asked, sitting on the sofa across from theirs.

Yuu looked at Azul, unimpressed and guarded, keeping her hands over her stomach.

"You already know, don't you?" Yuu spoke clearly. "I want you to free the students you've indentured."

This demand seemed to make Azul laugh, clearly amusing him. "Goodness me. That's quite the demand to make right out the gate." He chuckled, lifting his glasses to wipe an amused tear

The young businessman leaned forward. "You would ask me to release all two hundred twenty five students from their contracts with me?"

Yuu's eyes widened as she nearly choked on the breath she'd been holding. "Hold on, two hundred twenty five?! Are the boys at this school really that stupid to fall for an obvious trap?!"

Jack nodded, eyes wide in surprise, clearly not expecting that many boys to fall for it. "There's no way you bamboozled that many people! That's nuts!" His ears flattened to the sides.

"Yes, well, Jade and Floyd did a bit of proactive market outreach this year." Azul smirked knowingly. "Thanks to that, I've had no shortage of clients ready to strike up deals with me."

"Now, Yuu—as for your request to free these students... I am not forcing them to labor under any undue duress."

Yuu raised an eyebrow. "I beg to differ, especially considering that your twin goons like tormenting your workers. But, continue."

"Ah, yes." Azul forced a smile. "However, they made a contract with me, and they willingly consented to the terms laid out in writing. Contracts are ironclad agreements not subject to intervention from outside parties on any emotional basis."

"Ah-"

"In other words," Azul continued, there was a ghost of a smirk painted on his face. "'Poor, unfortunate souls' they are not."

"Well, shhhhh-oot." Damn it, me, this is a professional setting. "I guess you really thought this out. I'm impressed."

"Of course." Azul smiled. "To put it more bluntly: your protestations will avail you nothing, no matter how much you might kick and scream."

Yuu thought for a moment. "... You make a compelling argument, though that last bit was uncalled for. Alright, fine. I'll play your game."

Jack's eyes widened, lightly nudging Yuu. Yuu could almost hear a whine coming from deep in Jack's throat. "Yuu?." He looked nervous, his tail giving an anxious wag.

"Sorry Jack, I have to do this." Yuu said apologetically, turning to face Azul, her tone serious. "Let's make a deal."

Jack grumbled. "That's it, you've officially lost it!"

Azul smirked, leaning toward Yuu. " You want to make a deal with me?" Azul asked innocently. "Now there's an interesting proposal."

Yuu rolled her eyes. "Oh, don't play coy with me. You planned this entire thing."

The was a short burst of laughter from behind her, making the young woman turn to look at the twins that had slipped into the room unnoticed.

"Little Mantis Shrimpy's got some guts!" Floyd teased, promptly being ignored by both Yuu and Azul.

"Now, while your interest is duly noted..." Azul began again. "There's a wee bit of a snag. You see, Yuu, my understanding is that you have no innate magical power."

Yuu nodded. "You're acting like you've discovered the secret of the century, but yeah. What of it?"

"Additionally, you're not gifted with a beautiful voice, nor are you heir to any kingdom. You're an utterly run-of-the-mill human in every possible way."

This bitch-

Yuu forced a smile, fighting back the string of insults sitting on the tip of her tongue. "Yes?"

"Considering the big ask you're making of me, I would need considerable collateral." Azul concluded, as Yuu looked at him.

Jack intercepted Yuu's response, clearly not wanting Yuu to explode at the previous insults. "Such as?"

"Hm, I don't know..." Azul mused. "Just off the top of my head, how about usage rights for Ramshackle Dorm, which is presently under Yuu's supervision?"

Yuu's eyes widened, anger evaporating. "... You want my house?"

"Was that your whole angle from the sta—" Jack was cut off by the VIP room door slamming open.

Ah, shit. Here we go again.

"SIGN ME UP FOR THAT!" Grim's voice yowled, making Yuu turn to look at Grim and was covered entirely in soap suds.

"Holy crap, Grim?! What happened to you?"

"I can't TAKE it anymore! My fur ain't for washin' dishes!" Grim whined loudly, slamming a dish towel to the floor.

Jade hummed, somewhat displeased. "Ducking out of work to eavesdrop on others is hardly employee-of-the-month behavior, Grim." He turned to his brother. "Floyd, eject him."

"Can do!" Floyd chirped, making the cat monster flinch slightly, scrambling to cower between Yuu's knees.

Azul held up a hand to keep Floyd from snatching the little monster. "Now, now. Let's not be hasty, gentlemen. Yuu, the lone student at your dorm has weighed in on the matter." Azul smirked, adding more pressure onto Yuu.

"What say you? Will you put Ramshackle Dorm up as collateral and make a contract with me?"

Yuu stayed silent, trying to avoid looking into Grim's pleading eyes.

"Pleeease, Yuu, I'm beggin' here..." Grim tugged Yuu's shirt, fur still dripping wet.

"Yuu, don't do it!" Jack yelped, his ears pinned back, his eyes flashing down for a moment.. "You know he's just gonna name some unreasonable terms you could never possibly meet."

Yuu's eyes looked down, guiltily as she anxiously rubbed her hidden bump. "... I want to hear the terms of this contract first."

"Yuu!"

Azul smirked excitedly. "That's the sporting attitude I like to see."

Jack tugged at Yuu's sleeve, eyebrows furrowed and a frown deep set on his features. "Hey! Are you serious?!"

Yuu sighed. "I just want to hear the terms. I'll decide what to do once I hear them. I'll be fine, okay?"

Jack grumbled, nodding as he turned away.

"I take it I'll be allowed to tweak the contract if I find any possible loopholes?"

"Oh, of course!" Azul chirped. "Now, here's the deal..."