Book 2, Chapter 8

A/N: 

Sorry this took so long to get out, I couldn't figure out how to proceed with this chapter and then my birthday happened a bit ago, so I was just dying inside cause tests are next week. Thank you so much for reading this and thanks for the comments! I hope you enjoy this chapter and I'll see you in the next one!

~~~

Later that day, the pair sharing a single student status arrived at the nurse's office. Grim and Yuu, after about half an hour of begging nurse Mamani, Yuu finally decided to try her luck at bargaining with the very purple nurse.

"Please, sir?"

"No. The patient needs rest."

"... I'll get you a hot mocha latte with one cinnamon pump?"

"...Fine."

Surprisingly, the nurse had accepted, allowing Yuu and Grim to slink into the room, where one student lay, his friend sitting beside the bed.

"Hello, how are you doing?" Yuu stated politely, just before Grim decided to butt in recklessly, scrambling over to the bed.

The boy in the bed sat up slowly, a bit disoriented. "Huh?" He asked, his eyes meeting Yuu's.

"All right, where's this guy who hurt his ankle." He said, standing upright as he examined the two, unable to see over the edge very well. Yuu rolled her eyes as she lifted the cat into her arms.

"You're a very blunt one, aren't ya, Grim?" She said, placing Grim onto a chair.

The boy who was sitting next to his injured friend suddenly seemed to recognize the pair, his eyes widening in recognition, not exactly recalling their names.

"Hey, it's the ones from Ramshackle House! They were at the unbirthday party! What are you guys doing here?"

Yuu opened her mouth to respond when she heard a proud chuckle from Grim. "Get a load o' that! We're totally famous!"

Yeah, we're famous for causing trouble, Grim.

"Well, we were given a job from the headmage which involves incidents like the one that happened to you. So, if it's alright, we'd like to ask about your accident."

"I wish I knew what happened myself, man." The injured student shook his head. "I was walking along, talking to my friend. And next thing I knew, BOOM! I was tumbling down the stairs."

Yuu nodded, taking the notes as Grim nodded along.

"Yeah. I didn't even see him stumbling or anything." The second student recalled as his injured friend nodded vigorously.

"Right! It was like my body just lurched forward by itself. I can't really explain it." He said, looking bitterly toward his ankle.

Yuu looked at him, a strong feeling of fear and concern rooting itself deeply in her heart as she wrote something down.

Incident was sudden, nothing was building up to it.

"Hm. Hmmm. Interesting. Veeery interesting." Grim said, sharing a nod with Yuu, who'd basically confirmed that she'd written it down.

Yuu watched as Grim scrambled away and she nodded at the two. "Thank you both very much for your cooperation. We'll do our best to find out what happened." She said politely, the students exchanging thanks and goodbyes as she left.

.

.

.

The end of the day rolled around rapidly and Yuu had not yet gotten the chance to eat, having had her own food scarfed down by the gremlin of a cat monster. Currently, she was sharply turning corners, chasing Grim into another classroom.