Book 2, Chapter 19

By the time Yuu returned with a bag full of sandwiches and drinks (courtesy of the kitchen ghosts and their leftovers), the boys were throwing punches.

"Man, you just... You just don't give an inch..." Jack commended Deuce, huffing as he dodged another punch.

"You neither. You sure can fight." Deuce praised, ducking beneath Jack's swing, the two slowing down significantly as Grim lay on the ground, gasping for breath.

"It's like every one of your punches rattled me to the core..." He looked dizzy as Yuu placed a sausage breakfast sandwich in front of his nose, essentially reviving the cat monster as he immediately snatched the food from her hand.

Ace groaned, leaning against a tree, his gaze on the floor as he wiped sweat off of his brow, careful not to remove the carefully painted heart over his eye. "Yeeesh... Maybe we got a little carried away. Uuuugh. At this point, I don't even care about makin' the stupid team."

"Wow, everyone sure took a beating." Yuu took a long sip of her pomegranate juice, earning her the attention of the boys. "So... what next? Do we all hug it out now?" She teased slightly, opening the bag.

Jack looked at her in surprise, sniffing the bag. "... food?"

Yuu rolled her eyes playfully, nodding. "Yes, food. I take it none of you've eaten yet?" She questioned, pleased to see the boys scramble over to the bag, grabbing a random sandwich and bottled drink.

Jack nodded his thanks before looking at the boys. "All right. The path ahead is clear. I'll tell you what I know." He unwrapped his food.

Ace looked up, swallowing his mouthful loudly enough to make Yuu cringe before replying to Jack's remark.

"'The path'? The path to what?"

"The path my heart's telling me to walk. Remember, I'm betraying my own dorm here." Jack grunted between bites. "I can't be quiet any longer! I don't care how strong the foe—I wanna face them with my own two fists!"

Yuu blinked. Wow... A show of strength and a little food got him to agree to cooperate? I thought it'd be harder.

"I've been training hard for this tournament. I was excited to see how far I could go. But these cowardly schemes are making me sick! A triumph won through treachery means nothing!" The wolf beastman announced with a snarl.

"I wanted to claim victory on the back of my own strength and skill, and fight to defend it!"

Ace wrinkled his nose. "I think I preferred talking to his fists." He remarked, taking a sip of his strawberry milk carton.

Yuu rolled her eyes at Ace. "Not everyone's as reckless as you, mister 'Stupidly honest.'"

Ace's cheeks burned red in embarrassment. "Shut up." He mumbled as Yuu turned to Jack.

"And you. I'm not surprised at the selfishness, but what about the innocent people being hurt?" Jack simply shrugged, making Yuu fight her desire to face palm.

"I get it! I know exactly what he means!" Deuce nodded.

"That's not a good sign..." Grim muttered, making his way over to Yuu to be carried.

"You guys are hopeless..." She muttered, scooping her cat monster into her arms.

"Ruggie's signature spell– It makes its target copy Ruggie's movements." Jack informed the group, regaining Yuu's attention. "Since he's making the same movements as the person he's controlling, he's able to make it look like an accident on their part."

Ace hummed, recalling Grim's trade during bakery day. "So that's how he was able to get Grim to trade without getting caught. He just put out his hand, and Grim put out his."