Book 1, Chapter 25

Yuu was thankful for the extra protection as she'd narrowly avoided death by tree about five times since rushing toward the overblotted Riddle. Yuu watched the trees bounce off what she'd assumed was a forcefield, launching stones at full force toward the monster, which would howl in pain and swing in her direction.

Riddle howled with laughter, launching attacks towards all of the others, who would either scramble or block the spells. Yuu looked around for another stone, finding some that were far too heavy to throw before her eyes landed on the shattered remnants of what used to be Riddle's staff. She picked it up, considering, looking around for how she would use this, when her eyes landed on Riddle as he sent another flurry of blotten arrows down upon her friends who'd barely dodged them.

Yuu's eyes widened as she realized what she needed to do. She sank lower to the ground, moving silently. She clutched the broken staff in her hands like a two-handed sword.

About half way to Riddle, she made eye contact with Ace, gesturing for him to keep Riddle distracted. He gave a quick nod, yelling at Riddle, having him turn.

Yuu inched closer, avoiding the stomping of the monster every once in a while. After what seemed like forever, Yuu had managed to get just behind Riddle, forcing herself not to gasp as she noticed what appeared to be strings of darkness attaching themselves to Riddle, almost as if Riddle were the puppet.

Yuu stood up, shifting the weight of the staff as she swung, the hard staff colliding with the red haired boy's head. He released a pained wail as he turned to face her, eyes wide in shock and outrage as he began to reach toward her. Yuu immediately panicked, and did the only thing she had the power to do in that situation: Yuu rammed the rounded end of the staff into Riddle's stomach, effectively knocking the wind out of him as he fell.

The pregnant woman stared at the boy as he clutched his stomach in pain, making Yuu wince in sympathy.

"Sorry!" She said, awkwardly before being snapped out of her apology by a cry.

"Yuu!" The young woman turned, face paling when she'd noticed Cater's wide-eyed glance as he barely managed to change the trajectory of the spell.

A large, rocket-like spell flew over her head, colliding loudly with the monster's head, making Yuu stare back at the boys with wide, terrified eyes. She flinched, feeling a cold drip land onto her arm and she froze at the deep sound of a fishbowl cracking.

Yuu looked up to see web-like cracks forming, suddenly understanding her lack of time as she considered running forward.

"Yuu! Run!" Trey pleaded, seeing the look that Yuu gave to the unmoving red-head.

More darkness came oozing out, the dim glow of the medallion forming a new shield around her as she did not run. Instead, wrapping herself over Riddle, shielding him as she looked out to see the horrified expressions of the boys.

A loud shattering sound was heard as she saw someone run out, faintly hearing the words, "Headmage!" Before the flood of ink had completely engulfed the two.

.

.

.

Yuu opened her eyes with a groan before jumping slightly at the unfamiliar house. She heard excited humming from around the corner before Yuu noticed a familiar head of bright red hair peeking around the corner.

"Happy eighth birthday, Riddle." A woman's "voice could be heard, the scent of something warm and faintly sweet wafting in the air.

"This year's birthday cake is a low-sugar recipe made with nuts and lecithin-rich soy flour to improve your cerebral function." Yuu furrowed her brow as she made her way behind Riddle, looking over his shoulder silently as she noticed a very small version of him sitting at a table.