Chapter 17

It was not going well. Yuu had marched up, forced confidence marring her features and she grabbed a stone, watching the inky giant from the shadows while Grim balanced atop her shoulder. Her arm moved back, her deadly accuracy coming from seemingly nowhere as the stone left her hand. She felt her heart drop into her stomach as she heard the deafening CLANG against the monster's head. She heard the raging bellow, turning to run to a different area before inevitably spotting a very familiar cat with flaming blue ears racing into view of the monster.

"Ah. Fudge." She muttered, rushing toward the little beast.

"H-hey, monster! I'm uh... I-I'm over here!" Grim called, shrinking slightly as the monster turned with a low growl, footfalls heavy enough to shake the cave. She made a silent prayer as she rushed in, scooping the cat into her arms and running as the monster bellowed out an angry curse.

"He's comin' our way! Yuu!"

I'm a lunatic! Her mind screeched as she launched another stone at the cracking part of the monster's head. "That's far enough!" She stated, grabbing a heavier stone and praying that Ace and Deuce would swoop in. "Come any closer and your head will drain!" She warned shakily, her eyes watering fearfully at the oozing creature that towered before her.

"Grrurgh? Thieeef thiiis waaay tooooo... Neeevvva giiive stooones! Neeevvvaaa!" It slurred, a disgusting amount of goo splattering at her feet.

"Oh, GROSS!" She gagged slightly at the splattering sound that came. Clearly not a very good choice of words, seeing as her words touched a nerve and the monster bellowed, swinging frantically. She barely managed to dodge its powerful punch.

"Eep! If it lands one of those punches, we're toast!" Grim shuddered at the thought of becoming a bloody pancake staining the stone floor of the cave.

"We can't give up now." She stated, forcing back the terror in her voice. "For now, let's lure him as far from the cave as we can."

She grabbed three more stones, calling out in a teasing voice. "Come at me, you big dumb ape!" She threw another stone, enraging the beast much more.

"Begooone! BEGOOOOOOONE!" It howled, heavy footsteps thundering towards the two. They made their way into the area that was most shrouded in trees, effectively maing it hard for the giant to follow them out. Grim cried out an announcement, "We got him a good distance away from the mine!"

Yuu smiled at Grim, gasping for air before giving the signal.

"Alright, boys! Now's our chance!"

Ace ran out of the woods with Deuce in tow. "You bet. I got this! One extra-large gust of wind, comin' up!" Ace pulled out his pen, sending a heavy gust of wind in the direction of the monster as Grin inhaled.

"With a side of Grim's blazin'-hot fire! MYAAAH!" The blue flames seemed to merge with the wind as they carried over to complete the fight. The monster, terrified and angry growled, surprised at the sudden attack.

"How's that taste?! With my winds fanning them, even Grim's feeble flames can become an inferno!" Ace praised himself for his plan.

"Whaddaya mean 'feeble'?! Ya really don't know how to shut yer mouth, do ya?" Grim snarled. The two appeared to be about to squabble again when Yuu turned, giving them both a stern glare.

"Boys." The rest, while left unsaid, registered clearly for the two.

"Sorry."

"Okay..."

Yuu watched the fight carefully, looking to see Deuce muttering to himself for a moment before he called out. "Get 'em, cauldron!"

A large, black cauldron came crashing down on top of the monster earning the group a confused, pained growl.

"Nailed it!" Grim exclaimed, smiling excitedly at the young woman. "The plan's workin'!" The direbeast darted around her, pointing like a toddler watching his first action movie. Look, Yuu! That monster got smashed flat by a falling cauldron, just like Ace did!" She chuckled at the delighted air of the cat.

"You're right!" She smiled brightly.

Ace paused with a look of slight insult. "Coulda done without the reminder, thanks!" The ginger sighed, annoyed. "This has been one drag after another."

Deuce grabbed Ace, pushing him away from the monster which struggled beneath the weight of several cauldrons. "Quick! While it's distracted, we need to get that magestone!" He announced, leading the group.

Yuu scooped up her little nuisance, running behind him as Ace tailed her, the groups of teens rushing toward the sparking in the cave.

In the distance behind them, Yuu could have sworn that she'd heard the monster wail out the word "NO!" as if the stone were far too precious to it. She reached the spot, noting the distinct multicolored sparkle of the large gem.

"That's it! That's a magestone!" Deuce identified. Yuu huffed as she jogged over to him.

"Wow..." She gasped, looking at Deuce. "You, sir. Are one heck of a runner." She took a couple more breaths. "Man, am I out of shape..." She stated as she placed her cat monster down.

Deuce seemed to be fighting back a smile as Ace slapped her back. "You sure are. Geez. It's not that hard to run."

"...Jerk. Unlike you, I happen to be carrying-" She paused, reconsidering her words. "One other creature."

"Whatever. It's not like he's that heavy." Ace stated dismissively as he reached out to touch the large stone.

The teens paused as they heard scraping, and rumbling, as well as the clanging of cauldrons as they fell to the floor.

"Yikes! Looks like it's nearly wriggled free!" Ace said in alarm as he cast a small spell on the heavy-looking stone.

"Hey, Deuce! You gotta add more weight!" Grim called to the blue-haired boy, who nodded in turn, albeit, slightly hesitant.

"Y-you mean something heavier?" He paused for a split second, thinking. "Uh... I summon thee, cauldron!" He called, before continuing. "And also, uh... Um... Another cauldron! And a cauldron on top of that!"

Poor kid. Yuu thought, fighting back laughter as she heard Deuce yell, "All the cauldrons!" As an avalanche of cauldrons came crashing down onto the beast who howled in response.

"Is that the only thing you know how to summon?!" Ace yelped, disbelief in his eyes while he tugged the stone to loosen it.

"Pipe down already! I'm worked up enough as it is!" Deuce blushed in embarrassment.

Yuu felt the stone loosen from its place in the mine, as the group gave it one last tug.

"We got the magestone! Now let's get outta here!" Grim called scrambling away as Deuce picked up the rather large stone.

"Roger that!" Ace agreed, wincing as the monster bellowed out in agony.

The group managed to pick up the stone before rushing away. Yuu certainly hoped that she'd be alright with all this running. I'll keep this baby safe. I promise.