Chapter 20

Yuu made her way to the group of boys, Grim chatting animatedly while Ace seemed to roll his eyes playfully. Deuce stood to the side, listening to Grim chatter away.

"Hey guys!" She called, making her way over to them.

"Geez dude, what took ya?" Ace asked.

"Nothing much... What are you guys even talking about?" She asked, raising a brow.

"Just glad we managed to avoid the expulsion." Deuce smiled.

"Pshh, no kidding!" Ace agreed.

"I'm a student at Night Raven College!" Grim sang, his tail flicking excitedly. "I'm gonna be the top mage on campus in no time. Enjoy eating my dust, boys!" He meowed another cocky laugh, his nose pointed upwards as he exuded a proud air. Yuu couldn't help but smile at her furry charge.

"HA!Big words for a sentient pile of lint who's literally only half a student." Ace scoffed before his tone softened just a bit. "Still... Good for you."

Yuu smirked at Ace, who seemed to notice and quickly averted his gaze.

"Look at that! Never knew you were capable of congratulating someone~!" She teased, making Ace turn a brilliant red.

"Man... shut up!" Yuu barked a laugh, her eyes closing slightly.

"Nope!" She responds, allowing Grim to crawl up to her shoulders as she readjusted the bottle in her arms.

Yuu hears a snort from Deuce, who gives her a crooked smile. "I guess we're schoolmates now. Grim, Yuu- welcome to Night Raven."

"The pleasure's all mine!" Yuu bows her head with a brilliant smile.

Ace releases a groan that would rival any young boy's reaction to topics deemed boring. "Okay, seriously, can we quit it with that stuff?"

Deuce simply rolled his eyes, letting out a huff that suspiciously resembled the beginnings of a chuckle. "We'll be seeing each other all the time now. We'll see what a pleasure that turns out to be." The blue-haired boy turned toward his ginger counterpart, raising a brow. "Especially you, Ace, since we're in the same dorm."

"Yeaaah, can't say I'm jazzed to see your smug, self-important scowl every day." Ace said, stretching slightly.

"Better than your lazy, dopey grin." Deuce retorted playfully as the two began to walk away.

"Keep bawling, crybaby. I haven't forgotten how you almost wept when he said you were expelled." Quipped Ace before he turned toward Yuu.

"Oh yeah... Catch ya later, Yuu."

The young woman studied the figures of the two boys round the corner, arguing with each other, before she released a sigh, clutching the bottle of lemon-ginger ale.

"Those two seem like they're made for each other." She stated, adjusting her balance as Grim shifted his weight, yawning.

"C'mon, Yuu, let's get back to the dorm!" Grim curled himself slightly around her neck, forming somewhat of a fur scarf.

"Tomorrow when we wake, it won't be as janitors. Finally, finally..." Grim muttered, his tail slapping Yuu in the face as it wagged. "My glorious education as a proper Night Raven College student is about to begin!"

"Grim, keep your tail under control or I'm making you walk!" She sputtered, making her way toward the Ramshackle dorm.

As she walked, her mind flew to the memories of the day, how she'd managed to get the others to work together, and the familiar feeling inside the mine. Yuu thought about the many outcomes that could have put the life of herself or her unborn child in danger, and she gave a silent thanks to whatever force had allowed her to return safely.

Carefully, her free hand made its way to her stomach, finding comfort in the knowledge that her child was alright. She prayed that everything would turn out alright, allowing herself a small smile.

Maybe things will turn out okay after all.

.

.

.

End of Prologue...