Book 2, Chapter 9

Yuu had been practically carried to Heartslabyul by the two taller boys, who had picked her up so they could get there faster.

Yuu dangled from their arms as they stopped in front of the Heartslabyul house dormitory, allowing Yuu to stand on her own feet for a while, regaining her balance.

She thanked the two boys for not dragging her before the first years rushed into the dorm, Deuce now taking the lead to take the group to Trey's room before knocking and allowing himself in without waiting for a response.

She furrowed her brows as the group of first years entered the room to see Trey sitting on a bed, his ankle bandaged carefully with a pair of crutches at his side.

"Yo, man, how's it going?" Ace said softly, making his way over to the bed.

"How are you feeling, Trey?" Deuce asked gently, approaching the third year as if he were approaching an injured bird.

"We came all this way just to see your sorry face. It's cool—don't get up." Grim said as Yuu cradled him in her arms.

Cater, who'd entered the room with a cup of water noticed the group and grinned, the exhaustion barely visible in his green eyes. "Well, if it isn't Hunting Season!" He teased the two younger boys, smiling as he noticed Heartslabyul's favorite Ramshackle residents. "And Grim and Yuu too! You're rolling deep today."

Yuu smiled, greeting the ginger. "Hey there Cater!" She chirped, rubbing her bare arms realizing that she'd gotten used to wearing jackets.

Cater seemed to notice this as he reached for his jacket, Yuu managing to appear as if the jacket were wearing her as Ace spoke up, somewhat confused.

"Hey, Cater... I'm lost. Whaddaya mean by 'Hunting Season'?"

"I mean it's you guys! You're Ace, he's Deuce—that's what you call an Ace Deuce in poker!" Cater remarked, the two first year boys scrambling away from each other.

"Wha- gross!" Ace yelped, turning to look at Deuce in disgust.

"Don't give us a couple's nickname!" Deuce cried, equally horrified.

Ace, regardless of his own reaction, turned to look at Deuce with a look of annoyance before he finally returned the conversation to the topic of a fairly amused-looking Trey.

"Riiight... Anyway, how d'you feel, Trey? And how'd you get hurt?"

"Slipped on the stairs." Trey muttered, a little embarrassment evident on his face. "I couldn't catch myself, and my ankle got all messed up. I'll be on crutches for a while."

Yuu sucked in a breath, essentially realizing that Trey was hurt worse than she'd hoped.

"Yikes. That sounds pretty bad!" Deuce stated, voicing Yuu's thoughts unintentionally.

"Yep. Looks like I'll be warming the bench at the Spelldrive tournament this year." Trey said, sitting up a bit, grimacing as his ankle shifted.

Grim's ears pressed against his head as he looked at the tuna can that Yuu had not noticed that he'd been cradling, suspecting that Grim kept a secret stash hidden both at Ramshackle dorm as well as Heartslabyul. He gave a sad mewl as he stepped over to the bed, placing the can on the edge.

"I was hopin' your injury would be small enough for me to justify keepin' this, but... Here. I brought ya a get-well can of tuna. Feel better, specs." He said, making Yuu fight her instincts to coo at the surprisingly cute display.

"Heh. Thanks." Trey said with a smile, adjusting his glasses as he swung his legs over the edge of the bed to face the group.

Yuu placed a hand on Grim's head, smiling brightly as she silently praised the little monster. Good job, Grim.