Book 1, Chapter 1

When Yuu opened her eyes, she was no longer in the old, barely-livable room of the Ramshackle dorm, but within the walls of what appeared to be a maze of rose bushes. Her eyebrows furrowed at the oddly familiar scene that began to play out before her.

Three cards, seemingly distressed, danced and darted around, paintbrushes dripping red as they hurriedly painted the bushes.

"Hurry up and paint those roses red!" The cried, sloppily splatter paint onto the pristine white roses of a beautiful bush. "Slather them quickly as aforesaid!"

How strange... Why are they painting the roses red? Yuu thought to herself.

"Hurry! Hurry! There are still roses left to paint!" The Ace of Clubs called out to the other two.

Yuu noticed a sweet-looking young girl clad in blue and white arrive through the shrubbery, walking up to one of the cards.

"Excuse me? Why are you painting these white roses red?" She asked innocently.

The cards, seemingly confused by this question, paused.

"Why, you ask?" The Two responded. "It's quite simple. We planted the wrong color, you see"

"The Queen likes her roses red." The Ace continued. "If they're white, we'll lose our heads!"

The young girl's eyes widened and her jaw dropped. "Goodness!" She exclaimed incredulously.

"This is why we're painting the roses red!" The Three of Clubs concluded.

Yuu heard the far away response of the young girl as she picked up a brush, stating that she would help the cards.

The Young woman felt dread filling her heart, and she suddenly felt dizzy, noting the darkening edges of her vision.

"Don't do it, Alice..." She felt herself say, unsure of why, or how she seemed to know the young girl's name.

Yuu closed her eyes before she woke up with a strangled gasp, rushing toward the window to let some air in. The nausea was manageable enough, however, she'd figured that the cool night air would allow her stomach to settle some. Shakily, she'd managed to reach the window, successfully managing to unlock it before she heard the pounding on her door insistent on being let in.

Her mood rapidly shifted from strangely unnerved to purely angry. Yuu shoved open the window (with a surprising burst of strength) and began to yell.

"WHO THE EVERLOVING FU-" She froze for a moment as she recognized the ginger hair of the idiot on her doorstep. She took a deep breath, wrapping herself in a blanket. "Darn it Ace... I'm coming!"

She heard the groan of the little cat monster as he stirred awake with a little meow. "Hey... Yuu..." He yawned.

"I know it's the middle of the night, but I think we've got a visitor." Grim stated, eyes still closed with exhaustion. "Maybe it's those pesky ghosts again? They just don't know when to quit."

Yuu smiled as she scooped the cat into her arms. "Nah, it's not the ghosts." She reassured him as she made her way down the stairs.

"It's me, Ace! Just let me in, all right?" He called as Yuu swung the door open.

"... You better have a damn good reason for pounding on the door like a madman at three in the morning." Was the first thing she said, not looking at him.

"Ace? It's the middle of the night! B-bwah! That collar!" Grim, now fully awake, yelped. Yuu looked up, her eyes widening as she recognized the heart-shaped, red and black collar around his neck.

"Yikes bro, what'd you do?!" She squawked, eyes wide.

Ace pouted like a toddler who'd just been told 'No'. "I can't go back to Heartslabyul House. I'm joining your dorm. For good."

"Come again?!" Grim cried, hopping out of Yuu's arms, alarmed.

"Okay... Get in here and explain. Like... now." She stated, ushering the ginger in.