Book 2, Chapter 7

The next day had been a half day for Yuu, allowing her to rest for a bit (no doubt, one of Crowley's attempts to get Yuu to forgive him), which had not been much rest when Yuu was working overtime to get Grim to stop moping about.

"Man... If I can't be in the Spelldrive tournament, then what's even the point anymore?" Grim whined, spread out on the creaky floorboards of Ramshackle as if he were some sort of throw rug.

Yuu fought back a very angry retort as she stared at the cat, who refused to move, even before the broom. "You're still not over that?" She asked, sweeping around Grim and barely avoiding stepping on his tail.

Grim, in response, whined and flipped over onto his back, attracting the attention of the gentlemanly ghosts, who immediately came down from dusting the higher places to check on the cat monster.

"What's wrong, Grimmy? Something got ya down?" The middle ghost, Medric, asked, poking the cat, who did not move as he usually would. This seemed to worry the ghosts further.

"He's sulking because he can't play in the Spelldrive tournament." The biggest ghost, Marsh, responded.

Yuu nodded. "Crowley got his hopes up and crushed them. Hence why I got a free half-day." She added, the ghosts suddenly understanding better.

"If you wanna play Spelldrive that badly, why, we can play with ya!" The tall, thin ghost, Spindel, offered, smiling proudly as he recalled his living days. "I was the team captain ninety years ago, y'know. The girls in the stands couldn't get enough of me!"

Grim lifted his head, unsure and unenthusiastic. "Yeah, but wouldn't we need seven people?" He asked, recalling the official rules.

"It's not a real match anyway, so who cares? Let's just play!" Medric insisted, his eyes shining excitedly.

Yuu put the broom down, pushing Grim into a sitting position. "Come on! It'll be fun!"

.

.

.

It didn't take long for Grim's mood to improve drastically, his flaming ears burning much brighter compared to in the morning.

They'd spent the afternoon tossing around the disk, even allowing for Yuu to join in at some point. Yuu smiled as she watched the ghosts instruct Grim on how to play, allowing him to learn with hands-on experience.

Her eyes narrowed slightly when she heard a familiar voice ring out.

"Good day." Yuu turned to face the Headmage as he greeted the Ramshackle residents. "Playing some Spelldrive?"

Grim noticed Crowley's arrival and he slowed to a stop, bristling as he glared at the Headmage. "Aaand here comes the Fun Police. There goes my good mood, right down the drain." Grim huffed with a pout.

Crowley, in turn, ignored Grim, bowing as he took Yuu's hand. "I'm pleased to see you're all getting along. Quite pleased indeed."

Yuu rolled her eyes. "Yes sir. But... what are you doing here?" Crowley never visits after morning unless he wants something.

"Yeah, they just keep comin' back anyway. Might as well get along, I guess. Did you want something, or..." Grim responded, clambering up to his perch on Yuu's shoulder, eyeing the Headmage judgmentally.

Crowley smiled pleasantly. "I have a request to make of you both. Why don't we take this inside?"

.

.

.

"Seriously? MORE requests? I ain't a part of your janitorial staff anymore, y'know!" Grim whined dramatically from a sofa in the lounge as Yuu prepared some tea. Even if he is a jerk, one must always be hospitable. Yuu thought to herself as if she were teaching her unborn child a lesson.