Book 1, Chapter 23

Yuu wondered what death would be like, she wondered if she'd see Anthony again. If she'd see her cousin Isabella and her grandparents one more time. A small part of her was curious, of what her death would mean. Did this world even have an afterlife? The other, more prominent part of her became riddled with feelings of grief and suffocating guilt.

The child inside of her, whom she'd sworn to care for and protect inside her womb, would not live to see daylight. Yuu wanted to cry, keeping her eyes closed.

The world seemed to slow down as she prepared for the excruciating pain of sharp thorns shredding her to pieces. She waited... but the impact never came.

Somewhere ahead of her, Riddle choked on the inky substance, releasing a terrifying sound of confusion. "What just-"

Yuu opened her eyes, noticing the horrified and relieved expressions of those who were present.

Ace, from his place on the floor, hopped up, checking himself before looking over to her. "Huh? We're still alive?" Ace looked relieved before Yuu felt her anger flare as she smacked Ace upside the head.

"Well yeah! Dumb bitch! You could've died! You're welcome." She cried, about to scold him more before she paused, reaching her hand out to catch something that was fluttering to the floor.

"What's with all these playing cards?" Ace asked, rubbing his head.

"All the rose trees turned into cards?" Deuce questioned, visible confusion marking his features.

Trey emerged, pen raised as cried out one more desperate plea. "Riddle, stop this right now!"

"Wait, is that Trey's 'Paint the Roses'?! But... how?!" Cater yelped, making his way over to the freshmen.

"All the magic-sealin' collars are gone!" Grim yelped, rushing to Yuu's side, sniffing her and rubbing against her as if to try comforting the both of them.

Trey nodded grimly, eyeing his childhood friend. "What did I tell you? My magic can overwrite characteristics for a short time." He recapped, clutching his pen tightly in his hands. "So I used it to make 'Riddle's magic' into 'my magic.'"

"You can do that? That's some kinda loophole!" Cater yelped in surprise, before looking at a shaking Yuu.

Yuu gave Trey a shaky, grateful smile. "I guess that means we owe you our lives..." She breathed out a gasp, fighting her legs from giving out from the adrenaline draining.

"NO!" Riddle wailed from behind the group. "N-no... Off with their heads! I SAID, off with their heads!" Yuu watched as the boy swung his staff around, desperately trying to regain control.

Trey turned to Riddle, nothing but concern for the boy in his eyes and tone as he spoke. "Riddle, stop. Can't you see how you look right now?"

All around, Yuu heard the whispers of horrified students as they'd realized that Riddle was truly going to harm, very possibly kill one of his students.

"What? Was my magic overwritten by yours? Does that mean your signature spell is stronger than mine?!" Riddle fumed, a look of betrayal twisting his mouth into a scornful scowl.

"Of course it doesn't." Trey spoke, forcing his voice into a stern, yet gentle tone. "Riddle, take a deep breath and listen to us."

These words seemed to irk Riddle more, the inky substance now gushing out more. "Are YOU going to tell me that I'm wrong too? After all I've done to protect the rule of law?!" Riddle snarled, baring his teeth at Trey. "Do you know how much I've suffered for this?! I... I refuse to believe this!"

Yuu attempted to move forward, perfectly planned words resting at the tip of her tongue as she tried to make her way to Riddle.

Yuu was suddenly pulled backward, Crowley spinning her around, lips pressed in a tight line as he looked over her. He couldn't seem to decide between yelling at her or pushing her behind him to place himself in danger.

"Don't. Not again." A warning, Yuu realized, keeping her standing in place as the Headmage threw up a barrier.

"Cease immediately, Mr. Rosehearts!" Crowley yelled, voice grim and eyes as cold as permafrost. "Any further attempt to use magic will leave your magestone completely tainted with blot!"

Riddle ignored the Headmage's words, rambling desprately. "But... I'm right! I'M the one who's right!" The hair on Yuu's arms seemed to buzz with the incredibly powerful energy that was oozing out of Riddle.

The young woman noticed something moving to the Headmage, a familiar shape and stature, a ghostly figure.

It turned to her, and Yuu could hear a faint voice echo in her head. "I will protect you."

The young woman cried out in terror.

Riddle shook, gushing ink as it dripped onto the ground beneath his feet. "There... There is NO! POSSIBLE! ALTERNATIVE!" Riddle released a guttural howl, unleashing a power that darkened the skies, unearthing the trees.

"Riddle, stop!" Trey pleaded once more, eyes wide with fear.

The stone atop his staff turned black, and Yuu's heart sank when she saw it. The ink... appeared to be crawling up Riddle... it was consuming him. Yuu screamed. 

~~~

A/N: Holy shit, my dumbass somehow skipped over chapter 23! I'm so sorry about that!  I'll try not to do that again! Thanks for telling me!