Chapter 15

Fighting them had led to nothing more than the multiplication of ghosts in the mini brawl (if it was considered a brawl to literally be running while throwing spells) . She, of course, had resorted to throwing rocks, which surprisingly would sometimes land a hit.

"More ghosts?! They're floating around here too!" Ace cried over the sea of chaotic giggles that erupted from the ghosts. He ducked at another rock that made contact with a ghost, making it disappear with a comedic, "Owie!"

"If we stop to fight, we'll never get anywhere. Let's just keep moving." Deuce gasped, pulling ahead of the group as if to lead them to somewhere safe.

"Sure, but don't act like we voted you team leader." Ace responded, inhaling to try to speak as he ran. "The only reason we're here in the first place is because of that stupid stunt you pulled." Ace accused.

Deuce's jaw dropped at the audacity of the ginger haired boy. "Oh? I'm pretty sure this all started because you tried to shirk your window-cleaning punishment!" He retorted. Ducking behind a wall, effectively leading the group to an escape from the ghosts.

"So, we're bringing up ancient history now?" Ace scoffed, sitting down to regain some energy. "Then if you wanna get down to brass tacks, this all started when this furball torched that statue!" He hissed, glaring at Grim.

"Maybe you shouldn'ta made fun of me, then!" The cat monster yowled indignantly, spitting at Ace, who childishly stuck his tongue out.

"Would you idiots just quit it with the blame game!" Yuu whisper-yelled, gasping for air and shivering. "Holy heck, wow. I'm never doing that again." The girl groaned.

"If you puke, I'm leaving you here to die." Ace quipped, irking her. She shot him her best STFU glare.

"Guys! We're in real hot water, remember?!" Deuce reminded them, handing Yuu a (very crinkled) paper to fan herself. She took it gratefully. "If we don't come back with a magestone by morning, we're all being expelled!"

"Yeah, which is why we don't need you ordering the rest of us around. It gets old real fast." Ace snapped. Yuu opened her mouth to argue again before freezing.

"Yuu! Run!" She heard the voice cry out faintly before hearing the groaning of something heavy traveling through the mineshaft.

"... Guys? Guys shut up." She said, attempting to remain calm.

Ace sputtered incredulously. "No, you-!" He began before being promptly silenced by a distant bellowing. The ginger shrunk back, scampering to be behind her.

"Wh-where's that comin' from?" He whisper-yelled, terror flashing vaguely in his eyes.

The movement began to get louder, bringing the voice with it. "...neeevvvaaa... ...iiivvv... ...ooouuu..." Wailed the disembodied voice as the hair on Yuu's arms raised.

"Ooooh... this is definitely not good." She sucked in a breath.

Deuce shuddered slightly. "Sounds like... it's getting closer..." He pointed out, anxiously rubbing his wrist.

Yuu felt a harsh tug on her sleeve, pulling Ace, Grim, and herself forward, pulling them away from the wall, making them face away from Deuce, who was now behind them. Yuu's eyes caught movement from behind the corner. For a moment, she didn't have a clue as to what she was looking at.

From behind the wall, the group watched as a large, deformed figure bound past them. From the dull lighting of the mine shaft, she noticed its large hatted head glistening as if made out of glass. She felt her heart begin to pound as she noticed a thick, inky substance oozing from its body, nauseating her.

"... What- what is that thing?!" She yelped, scrambling backwards and alerting the beast.

"Stooonesss... ...nevvva give stooonesss...!" It bellowed, making the ground shake with the power it possessed.

Yuu's consciousness seemed to recede, ignoring whatever it was the boys were saying. She stood, frozen at the sight of such a horrible monster that was making its way toward their hiding spot. Instinctively, she wrapped her delicate arms around her abdomen in an attempt to shield her unborn baby from the clear danger.

She shook herself out of the trance-like state in time to see Deuce being pulled back by Ace.

"Are you outta your mind?!" The ginger haired boy hissed at his classmate. Yuu looked into Deuce's eyes, noting a distinct desperate reaction.

"Deuce! Please don't go! It's too dangerous!" She pleaded with him.

Deuce simply looked down before growling. "No! I won't be expelled!" Yuu felt the dread pool in her stomach, realizing exactly what was about to happen. The dark haired boy placed a hand on his magical pen. "No matter what!"