Book 2, Chapter 12

Yuu was rapidly losing speed, falling behind and about to fall victim to the terrifying pair of twins.

"Shoot! They're chasing us!" Deuce yelped, grabbing Yuu by the arm and running faster, Yuu being both uncomfortable and relieved at Deuce's strength and stamina.

"Hey, couldja stop, friends? Just for a second? We just wanna chat!" Floyd chirped happily, running behind the group with the movements that resembled that of a serial killer. Yuu shuddered, pushing the thought away.

"Hell no." She muttered as Riddle, who was gasping for breath, agreed.

"Decidedly, no! Full retreat!" The group dashed away, ignoring the disappointed groan that resounded in the courtyard from Floyd.

.

.

.

Yuu, Riddle, and Grim didn't have much stamina left, the three of them gasping as the group of detectives stood around in Mainstreet.

"That was terrifying. What is the deal with those guys?!" Grim yowled incredulously and still shaken.

Riddle shook his head, shrugging. "I'm not the one to ask. Those two have baffled me since we were freshmen together." He too was shaken up from the encounter.

"Messing with them seems like a reeeal bad idea." Cater agreed, Yuu nodding along.

"If I were the culprit, I know I'D steer clear." Ace remarked, standing up straight while Yuu sat herself beside Riddle, petting Grim.

"They are... bizarre to say the least." Yuu said, turning to Cater with an expectant look. "Maybe we should move on?"

"Gotcha! Then it's off to the next name on my list! It's getting late, so let's make this the last one for today, 'kay?" Cater scrolled through his phone for a moment, Yuu leaning in to watch as he touched the image of a large dog-eared young man with fluffy white hair.

"Who is it?" Yuu questioned as Cater spoke, leaning into her (somewhat in a brotherly fashion) for a moment as he showed her the phone.

"It's Jack Howl: freshman, Savanaclaw Dorm. Rumor has it that he's a great athlete. Scouts from all the major teams are fighting to sign him."

Yuu's eyebrows shot up. "Damn, kid's got talent, then."

"Classes are over, so he should be at his dorm." Deuce said.

"Oh, is it 5:00 already?"Riddle quickly checked his watch, astonished at how fast the time had seemed to pass. "Rule 346 says that 'croquet must not be played after 5:00 p.m.' I should head back to Heartslabyul and make sure that no one is breaking the rules in my absence."

Grim rolled his eyes at the red-head. "I thought you'd rounded out some, but nope, you're as square as ever."

Riddle turned bright red, although not in his usual anger, but in what Yuu took as embarrassment.

"Th-that's not true! I assure you that I've become much more lenient about enforcing the rules." He stuttered as Yuu placed a hand on his shoulder.

"He really has. He's way nicer than before." Cater remarked happily as Yuu nodded.

"I can tell. He's a lot calmer now."

Riddle's cheeks burned red at the compliment, yet he accepted the compliment with a very awkward smile.

"And we all appreciate that Riddle diligence." Cater added encouragingly. "So go do what you gotta do, Boss!"

Riddle nodded, clearly happy with the praise of the two older students as he excused himself politely, heading toward the hall of mirrors.