Book 2, Chapter 17

"All right, where's Ruggie Bucchi?!"

Grim burst through the doors of the classroom, aggressive and uncaring of the eyes of the boys that trailed his group. Yuu sighed.

"Right here." The familiar boys said with a lazy smirk that quickly dropped into an unimpressed one. "Ah... It's you guys again. Look, I really hope this isn't about that deluxe grilled cheese. We traded fair and square."

Yuu rolled her eyes. "No, actually." Yuu gave a sickly sweet smile, her voice dripping with venom. Riddle, Cater and Grim flinched at her tone, hearing her barely contained rage. "We need to talk."

Riddle pushed Yuu behind him, hoping to satiate her anger. "Ruggie Bucchi, we need to ask you some questions regarding the spate of injuries that have befallen prospective Spelldrive tournament players."

Ruggie smirked again, his marble gray eyes sparkling in amusement. "Oh ho. This sounds like some serious business." He chuckled, walking over to them, sizing Yuu up before grinning, his fangs flashing slightly.

Yuu stepped back, suddenly nervous. Cater pulled her away from him, flashing Ruggie a warning smile. "How about we move to the hall and keep this in the figurative DMs, if you catch my drift?"

Ruggie shrugged. "I'm cooperating. Let's all try to be gentlemen, now." His eyes flashed to Yuu, making her freeze in how he'd phrased it. Oh hell no-

Cater smiled as he ushered Ruggie outside, Riddle grabbing onto Yuu protectively while he allowed Grim to pass through the door before walking out with her.

Yuu's eyes remained trained on Ruggie, bristling with anger and anxiety as his eyes met hers and he winked. "Take a picture, it'll last longer."

Yuu wrinkled her nose. "I would but you already have a wanted poster." She snapped, making Ruggie burst into amused laughter as he fell back, walking beside Riddle.

"Holy shit, you've got more spunk than the girls in the Sunset Savanna."

Yuu narrowed her eyes. "It's my scent, isn't it?"

"Yep. Don't worry, kid. I'll keep your secret, for a price."

"I'll have you know, I'm older than you."

"I can smell that too."

"You son of a-"

Riddle cleared his throat to get the attention of both to prevent a fight. "Very well. While we do not yet know exactly what transpired, it is abundantly clear that your signature spell is a dangerous one." Riddle said, addressing Ruggie. "I will be casting 'Off With Your Head' to—"

Ruggie began to snicker, cutting Riddle off and irking him.

"But Riddle, are you sure you should be casting such a powerful spell without your magical pen?" He asked innocently.

Yuu's eyes widened turning to Riddle, who spluttered, speechless and confused as he reached for his pen before yelping in surprise.

"Huh? Wait...what?! What happened to my magical pen?!" Riddle patted around his pockets and ruffled around his bag. Yuu looked around the floor before she looked up at Ruggie accusingly.

"Hey, Cater! Your pen's gone too!" Grim yelped, Cater's eyes widening and looking to his breast pocket.

"You're kidding me! How?!"

"Children of privilege, every one of you." Ruggie snickered, bearing his fangs at the group. "So unprepared. So complacent. Like stealing candy from a baby."

" He cast his spell to snatch your pens away without us even noticing?!" Grim hissed, bristling and spitting at Ruggie who rolled his eyes as if he were insulted.

"Puh-lease. As if I'd need magic to do that!" He smirked, winking at Yuu as he held up a bottle. Yuu's eyes widened, recognizing the vitamins from Crowley.

"What the– Hey!" She hissed.

"Anyway, having a showdown in the hallway is not on my agenda for today, so I'll be on my way." Ruggie bowed dramatically as he began to move. "Toodles!"

"Hold it right there!" Grim growled, immediately taking off behind the thief.

Yuu felt her face flare red in anger. "He fucking stole my vitamins!" She growled, tears of frustration flooding her eyes as she took off after the boy.

"Curse you! You will halt if you value your head!" Riddle howled angrily as he followed. "'Off With—'"

"Whoa, Riddle, stop! Don't be a hero, man!" Cater intervened as two familiar voices echoed in the hall.

"Dude, your flamingo-feeding outfit was insane. Who knew they made leopard print in hot pink?"

"L-look, it's not like I had a choice! It's all I had in pink!"

Yuu's teary eyes found the familiar faces of Ace and Deuce.

"I can't believe we still gotta follow weird rules like that. But I guess it's better than it was." Ace smiled before stopping abruptly as Cater ran to them.

"Oh! Ace, Deuce! You boys are a sight for sore eyes!" He smiled.

Ace looked in confusion, his eyes filling with worry when he saw the crying Yuu. "Huh? What's going on? Why are you running, and why's she about to cry?"

"The culprit! He's getting away!" Riddle gasped. "You need to apprehend Ruggie Bucchi immediately! Housewarden's orders!"

"Whaaat?!" Deuce yelped.

"What does this gotta do with us?!" Ace questioned as Yuu swallowed back a snarl.

"Catch him please! This is your chance to earn a spot on the roster!"

"... Say no more."

.

.

.

Yuu did not trust her aim with objects bigger than rocks, nor did she like removing her shoes outside, too much of a chance of stepping in something wet while wearing socks. However, Ruggie's taunting as he ran made her consider tapping into the power of her ancestors and throwing a shoe or two at his head.

"There's no way we can outrun him..." Deuce gasped from beside her.

"I... I can't take another step." Grim muttered, falling behind.

"Aww! Is that it? Were you even trying to catch me?" Ruggie taunted laughing as he did so. "I've seen warthogs with more spunk than you!"

"Okay, you know what?!" Yuu snarled as she felt her anger flare stopping and removing a shoe. "Fuck it!"

She launched it, full force and with deadly accuracy, the shoe grazing past Ruggie's face, causing him to yelp and clutch his nose in surprise.

"Holy shit... O-okay, yeah. Maybe that one was a little fur-raisin'..." He said, running a little faster as Yuu removed her other shoe.

"You're gonna return what you stole or the next one'll actually hit, you thieving jerk!" She growled, running after him.

Ruggie yelped again as he took off running before laughing in amusement.

"Okay, I'll admit you've got more spunk than the others... .but unlike you, I'm not on my last legs! Byeee!"

Ruggie's hissing laughter echoed through the courtyard as he laughed hysterically, leaving the group behind.