Book 2, Chapter 26

The loud sound of metal snapping resounded in the arena, sending the familiar heart-shaped collar off of Leona and into the bleachers

"Riddle's collar flew off?!" Cater yelped, looking up as his eyes wide as he recognized the ink flowing down Leona's face. "Oh SHIT!"

Leona stood, face darkened as the sandstorm around him began to grow, whipping his hair around making it hard to look at him. "I've been loathed since the day I was born. I've never had a place, never had a future!" He hissed. "None of my hard work is ever rewarded!" He began to walk forward, the inky blot leaving a trail of drops behind him like a man with an open wound.

"How could any of YOU possibly understand? MY disappointment?! MY pain?!" He demanded, his voice cracking as if he were holding back sobs. He inhaled, falling to his knees, releasing a primal scream of pain as the sandstorm engulfed him. Yuu reached out her hand before freezing.

The storm began to lessen just as a loud distorted roar rang through the stadium just before the storm suddenly cleared, leaving behind a dark atmosphere that resembled that of an apocalypse. Out of the darkness stepped Leona, skin ashy and dry, yet dripping with ink. The sight made Yuu sick as her friends crowded around her.

"What's happening?! Some kinda giant shadow is comin' outta him!" Jack said, gasping for breath from the dryness of the air.

"Thats..." Deuce's eyes seemed to widen as he opened his mouth to respond, his tone borderline panicked. "That's the incarnation of his blot!"

Yuu followed his gaze and gasped, noticing a giant, zombie-like lion behind Leona, the familiar jar of blot for a head snapping the young woman back to reality when she felt a familiar ball of fur curl into her stomach both terrified and protective.

"Is he goin' into evil darkness berserker mode like Riddle did?!" Grim whimpered, leaning into Yuu's gentle hand as she rubbed behind his ears.

Riddle was the first to react. "If you can move, seek shelter! Ace, Deuce, help me take the wounded outside!" He commanded.

"On it!" Her friends responded, instantly springing into action at the orders.

"Lilia, please get help from the faculty!" Riddle spoke, earning a nod from Lilia.

"Understood." Lilia turned to Yuu. "Stay strong until I return!" He took off, flying out as quickly as he could.

Another distorted roar thundered in the stadium, making Yuu stumble as she got to her feet.

"Why does this keep happening to us? This is soooo not my #brand!" Cater groaned, helping Yuu to her feet, allowing the pregnant woman to lean on him.

"If you're afraid, feel free to run." Riddle teased in a poor attempt to lighten the mood, making the older ginger scoff.

"Trey wouldn't let me hear the end of that." He looked at Leona's overblotted form, terrified eyes filled with determination.

Yuu silently thanked Cater, turning her gaze to Leona, as the cool light seemed to wrap around her, shielding her and those around her without anyone's apparent knowledge as Grim climbed up to her shoulders.

"We do this together, Housewarden!" Cater called.

Jack joined Cater beside Yuu, looking at her curiously. "I dunno what's going on, but if we hit Leona hard enough, maybe we can snap him outta it?" He suggested, looking over Yuu like a concerned puppy. Yuu would have found it endearing had she not been focused on the giant inky beast that towered before them.

"I..." A rasping voice was heard, the cough being enough to snap Yuu out of her swirling thoughts. "I'll help too..." Ruggie coughed again, standing shakily "No way am I taking what he said lying down!"

Ruggie glared up at Leona who looked down sadistically. "So even the lowly hyena turns against me?" He laughed dryly, eyes wild and insane as he stared down at Ruggie. "What a joke."

Yuu turned to Grim when she felt his paw tap against her face. "Hey, Yuu." The little monster whispered into Yuu's ear. "If we can take this guy down, they'll let us play in the tournament! Give it everything ya got!" He encouraged Yuu.

She swallowed. "I'll do my best, Grim."

Be careful...

Yuu heard the voice echo in her head and she nodded. "Let's go get him guys!" She said, determined.