Book 1, chapter 2

Yuu served them all a cup of tea. Herbal for Ace and Grim, and Ginger with Lemon for her.

"Okay... start with the collar." She stated, setting out a bit of sugar packets and milk in case the boys didn't like bitter tea.

"I'd recognize that collar anywhere. It's the same one that psycho stuck on me at orientation!" Grim stated, his tail puffing slightly at the memory as he shuddered. "What'd ya do to get shackled with that?"

Ace's pout got a little bit deeper as he turned away. "I ate a tart." He muttered, crossing his arms.

Yuu blinked in surprise, eyebrows furrowed. "You... ate a tart?" She questioned which Ace nodded at violently.

"Yeah, that's it! That's all I did!" He claimed, exasperation evident in his tone. "I was a little hungry, see, so I went down to the dorm kitchen and found some tarts in the fridge. Three whole tarts! Big ones, too!" He began, explaining fervently, his hands flying in all directions as he recounted his experience.

Ace explained how he'd gone down to look for food, seeing as he and Deuce had missed dinner.

"You could've come to Ramshackle and I'd have given your dumbass something!" Yuu scolded, reminding Ace that she had a bit of food that the Headmage had dropped off for her.

"Shut up!" He yelped before continuing.

He explained how he'd cut into the tart, being incredibly detailed with how they tasted. Yuu had to remind him to focus on recounting the story. Ace then mentioned how the Housewarden had suddenly blown up, mentioning a rule before he had collared Ace.

"And... here I am." Ace concluded. Both Grim and Yuu remained silent for a moment before Grim decided to break the silence.

"So... The point is you're both terrible?" The cat concluded, making Yuu laugh, almost spitting out her tea.

"Damn, Grim. That was savage, even for you." She said after swallowing.

"You don't think that it's insane for my magic to get sealed away for eating ONE slice of tart?!" Ace cried with a look of betrayal. "For a mage, that's like having your arms and legs bound and shackled!"

"Woe is me." Yuu deadpanned. "How terrible it must be to not have magic."

"And there were three whole tarts! THREE! It's not like he could eat 'em all himself!" Ace ignored her. "C'mon, you KNOW this is messed up!"

"... I guess? Maybe?" She responded.

"What kinda wishy-washy answer is that?!" Ace cried, surprised at her lack of empathy.

Grim stretched slightly, nonchalant at Ace's expense. "I mean, if there were three of 'em, they were probably for a party." He reasoned. "Maybe it was someone's birthday or somethin'?" Grim stated before pausing, seemingly proud of his reasoning. "Lookit that! I'm, like, a master detective too!"

"Good job, Grim." Yuu said as she pat Grim on the head, scratching behind his ears, which Grim leaned into.

"A birthday party, huh...?" Ace muttered, as if he'd not considered that.

"Look, Ace." Yuu said, making eye contact. "Did you even apologize?"

"Man..." Ace pouted again, crossing his arms. "I thought you'd be more sympathetic! I'm a victim of the housewarden's tyranny here!"

Yuu rolled her eyes, exhausted. "Look. I dunno about you, but in my home, stealing food is a serious offense." She remembered the countless arguments with her sisters over stolen food that had been stored in the fridge.