Book 2, Chapter 20

"Huh. That's actually not half bad, dude." Ace nodded as Deuce spoke clearly, agreeing with Ace's remark.

"That is quite the plan, Housewarden Rosehearts!"

Cater hummed, smirking excitedly. "Sounds like 'ol Cay-Cay has a lot of prep work to do before the big day!"

The red-haired housewarden nodded his thanks with a small smile painted carefully on his features. "Thank you, Cater. Take care not to raise any suspicions."

"So, H-B-U, Jack? You heard Riddle's plan. Are you in? Or out?"

Jack looked thoughtful for a moment, before he nodded, his resolve unwavering as he answered honestly. "There's nothing cowardly about it, at least. I suppose we can work together this one time."

Grim rolled his eyes, nestling into Yuu's arms as his tail flicked. "Really feelin' the trust there, Jack."

Jack rolled his eyes as Riddle spoke up. "Alright, for now, I will dismiss this lunchtime meeting to allow you all to go eat."

"Yeah! I'm starving!" Grim responded excitedly, not questioning the time.

"Cool beans." Ace responded, visibly confused as he reached for his phone, his eyes widened as they landed on the current time. "Oh shit!"

Yuu looked over, before her own eyes widened. "... Oh." The two exchanged looks, a secret promise not to mention their blunder to Riddle, who looked on in confusion.

"What is it?" He asked, raising an eyebrow at Ace, who spluttered, pushing Yuu in front of Riddle.

Yuu sighed, a thousand excuses running through her head before she settled on one. "We're gonna be late for Trein's office hours." How the actual heck did we even miss the sounds of the bells?!

Riddle looked at the group skeptically before shrugging. "Very well. Although... Hold on a moment, freshmen. Because of the information it yielded, I am going to overlook your flagrant violation of rule #6: 'No fighting on campus.'" He looked specifically at the boys, overlooking Yuu. "But rest assured that if it happens again, it will cost you your heads. Are we clear?"

"Yes sir, Housewarden Rosehearts." The group, including Yuu, responded.

"...Yeah." Jack muttered, turning away.

"Very well." Riddle nodded, accepting the answer. "Those of us not attending Professor Trein's office hours, let us return to the cafeteria."

Jack leaned into Ace, whispering. "Man, I thought he looked like a wuss, but your housewarden is one scary dude."

"You ain't wrong. Mistake him for a friendly hedgehog and you'll quickly learn he's actually a furious porcupine." Ace whispered back as Yuu grew impatient, grabbing the three boys (and tucking Grim into her bag, much to his annoyance) before running.

"Yuu! Slow down!" Deuce yelped.

"Hell no! We have to go grab the homework we missed! I legit refuse to suffer the confusion that comes with missing a single class." She responded, ushering the boys to the classes, grabbing the homework and getting explanations from each of the teachers.

By the time lunch was over, Yuu's group of friends and Jack had parted ways, allowing him to go to his classes, and leaving the group to die internally as Professor Crewel chewed them out for their morning absence.

"Care to explain to me why you mutts were absent this morning?" He grumbled, twirling his whip.

The group flinched, Yuu stepped forward, her head hanging in shame.