Book 2, Chapter 27

Yuu wished she could be physically strong, regretting her strong dislike of exercise growing up. She could have used a bit more muscle in this fight. Yuu, instead, placed a hand on Jack's arm, gaining his attention.

"If I can't overthrow the world, I'll turn it to sand!" Leona lamented, howling into his own sandstorm as Yuu whispered something into Jack's big ears. He looked at her incredulously for a moment before noting the resolve burning in her eyes and nodding.

Ruggie, who overheard, was a bit more vocal about his opinion. "Are you fucking stupid?!" He hissed.

Yuu sighed. "Probably. Either that or I'm completely insane. But I have to do this. So keep him distracted, will you?" She whisper-yelled.

Ruggie groaned loudly before nodding. "Fine. Fine! Geez, the things I do!"

"Thanks, Ruggie." Yuu said, limp-running to the stadium's exit.

"It's pointless—all of it!" Leona wailed in the background, raising more dust as parts of the stadium crumbled, bleachers turning to dust as the inky tendrils connected with Leona's despairing form.

"Have you always felt this way? All this time...?" Ruggie muttered, his eyes not leaving Leona as Jack kept his eyes on Yuu who'd begun inching her way closer to Leona.

"Ruggie, let's hit Leona hard and knock some sense into him, fast!" Jack stated, his voice dripping with urgency as he pulled out his magic pen. For a moment, Yuu could feel the wolf beastman's golden eyes trailing behind her as she picked up what stones she hoped wouldn't corrode.

Yuu watched the two boys take a collaborative position, pens drawn as they appeared to be taking aim.

"Good..." Yuu murmured as she put Grim on the floor gently. "Cover me. I have to get close. I have to cut those tendrils."

The little monster stared up at her, sapphire blue eyes filled with concern and fear. Yuu took this fear and smiled reassuringly.

"I'll be fine. Now, go... Carefully." She sent the cat monster off as she did her best, stalking toward the threat.

"If you're really with me, Anthony, I want you to shield the baby. I'll be fine if this baby of ours survives." Yuu thought to her deceased beloved. With that thought, she felt a cooling sensation in her stomach, hopefully surrounding her womb to protect the baby.

Yuu looked up suddenly as she heard another distorted snarl and bit back a yelp as a flurry of sand hit the wall beside her with an audible crunch.

Yuu kept moving, watching an exhausted Jack and Ruggie gasping for breath.

"Rgh... So strong! How can someone so powerful give up on everything?" Jack snarled, throwing another spell at Leona.

"You're getting on my nerves. I'm gonna turn each 'n every last one of you to sand!" He howled, seemingly not noticing the woman who'd gotten significantly closer, pulling her hand back, recalling the inky monster's glass head as a weakness.

She decided to give her position away, meeting Jack's and Ruggie's gaze as she launched the stone. With an audible CLANG! The stone bounced off of the creature's head, gaining Leona's attention. The lion turned with a glare and prepared to launch an attack at Yuu, only for a pillar of blue fire to blind him.

"Thank you Grim!"

"Guys! Aim for the monster! Not Leona! The head is the weakest part!" She cried as the two beastmen's eyes seemed to widen. Jack gave a loud howl and nodded as Ruggie called back.

"I'm gonna use my signature spell! That'll buy you some time!" Yuu nodded and began to run.

Be safe, Yuu.