Book 1, Chapter 7

Yuu watched in fascinated horror as Deuce called one last cauldron that came crashing down, just in front of the three delinquents. The loud CLANG from the cauldron seemed to shake the floor for a moment before the boys scrambled backward.

"Yikes!" One cried.

The other stared incredulously, terrified. "Whoa, didn't know you had that in you..." He muttered.

"Look, I'm gonna let you off the hook this time, but only 'cuz I don't want my pasta gettin' cold." One responded before he and his group walked away, slightly singed, but still unharmed.

It was silent for a moment before Grim finally broke the silence.

"Pfft! I knew you were all talk! You better hope I never see you again!" He cheered before noticing the look that Yuu was giving him.

"What happened to 'no more incidents'?" Yuu raised an eyebrow at the cat, who shrunk back slightly. She then rolled her eyes and motioned for Grim to just grab his food.

"Can we just get some lunch already? I missed breakfast, and I'm about to collapse." Ace said.

" I can't believe this." Deuce lamented. "Textbook bullies at an academy that's supposed to be famous for producing exceptional mages..."

"Don't think too much on it, Deuce. Bullies tend to be everywhere." She said before pausing. "Thank you for saving me, though. That was very brave of you." She gave him a gentle smile as she went to collect her food.

.

.

.

Once the group had finally sat down, Grim did not hold back, noticing how the group itself seemed somewhat tense after the fight.

"Aw, get over it already. It's time to chow like the wind!" Yuu watched, slightly disgusted as Grim shoveled food into his mouth.

"This omelet is as fluffy as a cloud, and practically burstin' with cheese!" He swallowed, shoving more food into his mouth.

She only moved when Grim reached for her share as well. "Hey! Get your grubby little mitts of my food! You're already eating your food! AND you ate my food in the morning!" She hissed, shielding her steak, swatting Grim's paws away.

Grim shrugged, still chewing as he spoke. "So, I saw your guys' dorm, but what are the other ones like?" Grim questioned, getting himself scolded by Yuu.

"I'm sure you're familiar with the statues of the Great Seven? Night Raven College has a dorm themed after each one."

Yuu jumped, instantly recognizing the voice and its tone. She rigidly turned, eyes wide with terror as she remembered how this boy had attacked the group, nearly taking her baby. Yuu scooted away slightly, turning away from him, keeping her hands on her stomach protectively.

"Bwah! You're that guy from this morning!" Ace said, scooting closer toward Yuu, who watched Cater wearily.

"You tricked us into paintin' those dumb roses!" Grim said, glaring at Cater, who innocently put his hands up.

"'Tricked' is such an ugly word. Do you think I wanted to spend MY morning painting roses?" Cater said, finally noticing how Yuu seemed to be a little scared of him. The way he looked at Yuu, he noticed how she seemed to be shielding something. Cater pretended to ignore the behavior as he continued. "It's dorm policy! I was just following orders."

"And grinning like a fiend all the while." Deuce reminded Cater, also weary of the upperclassman. Cater gave a friendly laugh, allowing for Yuu to notice Cater's attempt to make himself less intimidating.