Book 2, Chapter 23

Yuu flew to the arena (quite literally as Lilia insisted on carrying her) after making sure that Cater was alright. She'd been set down on the ground gently to wait for Riddle and the others to enter while she looked over Cater.

"What were you thinking?!" She whisper-yelled after confirming Cater's safety. Cater simply smiled sheepishly, as he placed his head between his knees.

"Leona, I did it! Did you see the broadcast?" Yuu heard Ruggie chirp loudly, expecting praise.

She heard Leona's victorious chuckle. "Yeah. That was nice work, Ruggie." He spoke louder, almost tauntingly. "So long, Malleus. This year, the throne is mine."

"Long live the king!" Ruggie cried with a jovial laugh, sickening Yuu with the knowledge of what he'd done under the orders of Leona.

"Yeah!" The Savanaclaw students cheered. "Long live the king! Long live the king!" Yuu's mind temporarily flashed to a vaguely familiar image which made her stomach flip and she held her hand to her face, horrified and pale enough that she missed Riddle's arrival. He, Ace, and Deuce gently pushed past her, Jack looked at her as the others sent concerned looks in her direction before Riddle. Grim scrambled up to Yuu, concern clear in his face, but feigning annoyance at being left behind. Yuu's hand placed on Grim's furry head, grounding her somewhat.

"I believe we've heard enough." He announced, cutting the student's celebration short. He didn't flinch when the boys turned on him, snarling and baring their fangs as they growled. Leona and Ruggie shared a look, smirking.

"Well, well, if it isn't the Heartslabyul kids. And is that Jack? You transfer to Heartslabyul on us, frosh?" His taunting tone did not sway Jack into fighting, rather made him respond in a way strong enough to irk the lion.

"Nah. I just don't feel like celebrating the underhanded accomplishments of a bunch of cowards." The wolf remarked, standing proudly.

"You filthy traitor!" Leona snarled, his tail flicking in annoyance.

Riddle stepped in front of Jack, "You have tarnished a proud Night Raven tradition." He spoke, sending a chilling glare in Leona's direction. "As housewarden of Heartslabyul, a dorm focused on orderliness, I cannot possibly overlook this."

"Listen, kiddies," Leona jeered. "save your heroic speeches for someone who cares, all right?"

Ruggie scoffed. "Honestly, coming into our territory with only a handful of people... It's like you WANT a beating."

The boys jumped at the opportunity to fight, looking to Leona for the confirming order. "You want us to take care of 'em, Boss?"

Leona smirked. "Sure. Have a little fun with 'em."

With absolutely no hesitation, the wave of muscular beastmen rushed the students, and Ace and Deuce moved forward defensively, protecting their housewarden. Yuu watched on, biting her lip. There it is... that sinking feeling.

.

.

.

It was over almost as quickly as it had started. Several moments of dodging cauldrons and getting pushed back by gusts of wind, the beastmen were able to quickly gain on the three boys. As soon as they were within reach, Riddle effortlessly made a slashing motion, casting his signature spell that quickly canceled the magic of the Savanaclaw boys. They remained curled on the floor in shock.

"He's so strong!" One gasped, pulling at the collar like a dog whose head got stuck in a tissue box.

"Man, housewardens are no joke." Another lamented, shamefully lowering his head upon noticing the disappointed glare that Leona directed at the group.