Book 1, Chapter 6

The boys didn't run for long, somehow managing to round Grim into a corner, allowing Yuu to manage to reach them.

"Mrrah! I've had it with these boring classes!" Grim yowled, his fur puffing out slightly.

"Grim, you're making a scene! Do you want to become a great mage or not?" She said sternly, eyes narrowing as she dared him to make a move against her.

Grim, noting her tone of voice and remembering how terrifying she could be when angered, backed down, with an irritated, "UGH! When did you get all bossy?"

Yuu raised an eyebrow at the cat before picking him up. Yuu gave a warning smile, her tone changing to a sickly sweet warning. "Hey. Run away like that again, and I'm buying you a fireproof leash, got it?"

Grim winced, giving the young woman a nod.

"Good!" She smiled, turning to the (slightly terrified) boys. "Now! What's our next class gonna be?"

.

.

.

About an hour later, the group made their way to the cafeteria, Grim suddenly bursting with excitement and Yuu practically starving.

"Wooo! Lunchtime at last!" Grim sniffed the air, his eyes scanning over the food. "Whoa!" Grim began to drool. "They got some good-lookin' grub!"

Yuu agreed, mouth watering at the sight of a steak with mashed potatoes and several ice-cream and fruit bowls. Hopefully, it's well done. Can't risk raw-ish meat.

"It actually looks good!" Yuu responded, before silently adding. "All my school ever gave was pizza and fruit."

"Look how fluffy those omelets are! Ooh, grilled chicken! And a bacon-and-egg tart!" Grim flitted between several different meals, while Yuu looked for dishes that she would deem as safe.

"Shhh! Dude, inside voices!" Ace said, watching Grim. "Where was this energy earlier today?"

"Yuu, grab me the grilled chicken! There's only one left!" He pointed, tail practically wagging. "Ooh! And an omelet too. And that jelly-filled bread. Just fill your whole tray with 'em!" Grim pointed, getting more carried away. Yuu piled quite a bit of food on the shared tray. Yuu reached the steak area where she had begun to ask if it was possible to get a well done steak when all of a sudden, Grim yelped.

"Ow!" Yuu turned to see Grim on the floor with three giants standing over him. She quickly confirmed her special order before dismissing herself to check on Grim.

"Hey! Watch where you're goin'!" One growled before looking at his food. "M-my carbonara! You broke the yolk!"

"Whoa, that's messed up! Pokin' the egg is the best part!" Second stared before sending a menacing glare at Grim. "You better make this right, pal!"

"I'm gonna need that grilled chicken of yours as compensation." The first one snarled, extending his hand while Grim clung to a piece of chicken.

"No way! Hands off the bird, chump! I need my protein, because I am HANGRY!" Grim hissed, his ears flashing as if giving a warning.

"Hey! That's no way to speak to an upperclassman! Catch me outside and I'll teach you some respect!" The boy growled, cracking his knuckles.

Yuu pushed past the growing crowd, stupidly placing herself between Grim and the guys. "What's happening here?" She asked, heart thumping loudly against her chest.

"I'll tell ya what happened. That fur-ball broke my yolk!" He snarled, getting increasingly close to her. She took a step back.

"Okay, first? Back the hell up." She said, "Second, food is food. It's still edible. However, if you're that bent out of shape about it, then I'll give you one of these." She said, offering one of Grim's jelly-breads.

Yuu yelped when she felt the bread get slapped out of her hand and a finger poked her collar bone harshly.

"You're gonna pay for that." She heard him snarl while he pulled out a magic pen. Yuu's eyes widened at the sudden escalation of events. She hadn't even been rude.

All of a sudden, someone was standing in front of her. "Um, excuse me, sir, but it said in the handbook that fighting with magic was prohibited..." A familiar voice was heard, Deuce, as Yuu recognized him.

"Fighting? You got it all wrong. This is just me helpin' an ignorant freshman know his place." The glare sent at herself and Grim sent shivers down her spine.

The second student gave a howling laugh, eyes glinting maliciously. "Now, let's see just how many ways there are to skin a cat, heh!" He lifted his pen, and all hell seemed to break loose.