Book 2, Chapter 28

Yuu's eyes were trained on Riddle as he intervened, trying to determine what he was going to do as she noticed the group of injured students behind him. She awkwardly waved to Trey, who shot her a small smile. Crowley watched Riddle, his glowing eyes ever so slightly unnerving for Yuu as the birdman spoke.

"Mr. Rosehearts? And I see you're with..." He squinted before noticing the students as well. "Ah."

Riddle nodded. "Correct. They are the victims in this incident."

Trey limped forward to stand beside Riddle. "Headmage, speaking on behalf of the victims, I have a request for you." He looked at Savanaclaw in a way that Yuu could have sworn was a You're dead look.

"We would like you to permit Savanaclaw House to play in the tournament despite their crimes."

Crowley looked at the tall greenette, spluttering in surprise. "What...? Are you saying...you wish to forgive their crimes?" Crowley gasped.

For a moment, Ruggie seemed touched. "You guys..."

"No. That's the last thing we want." Jamil deadpanned from behind Trey, quickly shutting down Ruggie's hopefulness.

"If Savanaclaw is disqualified from the tournament, we'll lose our chance at revenge." Trey explained with a smile, making Yuu choke on her laugh and start coughing. Crowley patted her back as he watched the victim's of Savanaclaw's deeds nod in agreement.

"Wh- What?!" Ruggie yelped.

Jack, with his ears twitching slightly, stared in shock. "Revenge?!" He questioned.

Riddle shrugged. "After all, fighting with magic is forbidden on campus."

"But during a Spelldrive game, it's all in the name of sport, right?" Trey continued. "It just happens to be a sport where players face off using the fullest extent of their magic."

"Yeah. If we lose our chance at revenge, it'll gnaw at us all year!" One of the Heartslabyul students agreed.

"We throw down the gauntlet! Duel us!" Pomfiore's boys stated dramatically, actually dropping a glove on the floor.

"Plus, I dunno what happened here, but it looks like it left the Savanaclaw kids in even worse shape than we're in." Jamil shrugged, eyeing the Savanaclaw boys.

"What we're saying is: now that we know who did this, we have an opportunity to hash things out on the field instead of letting grudges fester." Trey justified as Cater nodded in agreement.

"You've said it yourself, Leona—fighting doesn't break school rules if it's a part of a Spelldrive match!" He teased, making Leona grumble.

Riddle, on the other hand, sighed. "Normally, I would demand their heads." He looked at his childhood friend. "But if Trey and the others insist on settling their grudges on the field... I am willing to overlook their disregard for the rules this once."

Yuu smiled at Riddle proudly. Oh, they grow up so fast. She thought to herself as she watched Riddle forgive the rulebreakers.

"I understand where you're coming from. However, the question is: Are these Savanaclaw students even capable of taking to the field?" Crowley asked, acting quite responsibly for a man who'd previously thrown his work affairs at a pregnant woman and her cat monster. "After all, Mr. Kingscholar has only just regained consciousness!"

Leona snorted, rolling his eyes. "Don't you underestimate me, Crowley." He looked at the victims of his plan. "I wouldn't even need to be awake to handle this sorry pack of wounded herbivores."

"Wow." Jamil scoffed, incredulous at the Lion's insult. "Now THAT is audacious."

"I've got no intention of bowin' to anyone. If you want my apology, come and take it." Leona smirked.

Trey rolled his eyes at the exchange, adjusting his posture a bit before he looked at Crowley who was crouched beside Yuu. "Do we have your blessing, Headmage?"

"Dear me." Crowley sighed. "Aren't I the fool for thinking you all wanted to talk about your feelings?" Yuu smiled softly, patting the Headmage comfortingly before allowing him to stand.

"Very well." The birdman stood, dusting himself off. "Your petition is granted. Savanaclaw will be allowed to participate in the tournament, as originally planned." Yuu watched Crowley look around before going to scoop her into his arms and whispering to the group.

"And as the headmage, I very much appreciate that this will keep our little scandal under wraps as the whole world is watching." Yuu raised an eyebrow.

"Wow. What a wonderful example you're setting, sir." She deadpanned, making him stiffen slightly. Crowley's words came out somewhat squeaking in the beginning.

"I- wELL-!" He paused, clearing his throat. "Well, the spectators have surely grown weary of waiting for the players to appear. Do make haste." He turned with Yuu still in his arms as Leona attempted to stand.

"All right, let's–" He yelped for a moment and groaned. "That hurt..."

Beside him, Ruggie grumbled as he played with his wrist, staring at the no-longer crumbling skin. "Don't think you've earned my forgiveness."

Leona looked at Ruggie wearily. "Right, and?"

"Still..." Ruggie sighed, his ears flattened a bit as he looked down. "I couldn't tell you why, but... It still pains me to see that pathetic look on your face. Your usual smug, sneering grin—somehow, that suits you better."

Before the Headmage could pick her up, Yuu noticed a smirk form on the Hyena's face as he looked at the Lion.

"So come on, now! 'Laugh With Me!'" He called, casting his spell. Ruggie raised his arms, an action that Leona was forced to mirror before tugging the sides of his face into a wide grin, making Leona cry out in pain and annoyance.

"Ack! Ruggie, what the hell are you doin'...?!" He growled, his fangs exposed.

" I can't tell you how long I've wanted to do this!" Ruggie cackled, tugging harder.

"Knock it off! Now!" Leona barked, clearly uncomfortable as his ears were pinned back. Yuu bit back a smile from her cradled spot in Crowley's arms.

"You guys are a buncha idiots." Jack grumbled before a small laugh escaped him. Yuu froze before smiling again.

"No way! You actually laughed!" She teased as the wolf-boy's ears perked at her voice.

"Wha-?! I... I did not!"He looked away with a deep blush on his face. He shook his head before looking at Yuu and then to the others with a strange expression.

"I owe you guys for this. Thanks to you, I'll be able to go out there and give one hundred percent."

Riddle nodded, keeping himself close to Yuu, who was getting uncomfortable being held.

"Of course. But on that field, we will be enemies. We will hold nothing back." The red-head smiled.

Yuu watched as Jack's tail began to wag and he smirked.

"I wouldn't have it any other way!"