Book 1, Chapter 9

"Hey, Riddle! What's shakin', pal? You're lookin' adorbs, as always!" Cater said, attempting to appease the other boy. Riddle, rather attempting to calm down, simply turned to Cater with a warning glare.

"Cater, keep running that mouth and you'll lose it - along with the rest of your head." Riddle huffed.

"Sorry, sorry! My bad!" Cater laughed uncomfortably, backing down.

Yuu heard Grim meow and she looked down, noticing how his blue eyes widened in recognition. He stood, pointing his paw at Riddle, crying out. "You're the guy who put that stupid collar on me at the orientation ceremony!" Yuu instinctively pulled Grim back into her lap, protectively holding him close to her.

"And you're the new students who were nearly expelled yesterday. I'll ask that you not refer to my signature spell as a 'stupid collar.'" He said, narrowing his eyes at Yuu as if she could have prevented this.

"The headmage's habit of tolerating rulebreakers like you is going to send this entire campus spiraling into chaos one day. Those who break the rules should have their heads removed immediately, without exception." Yuu's jaw dropped at the audacity of this boy, returning his glare.

"Don't you dare blame me for the shortcomings of your school." She retorted, bristling and suddenly more confident. "I never once asked for something like this to happen." She spat.

Riddle looked angry and about to respond when Ace interrupted the stand off. "Dude, seriously? This guy looks like a wimp, but talks like a monster!"

"The headmage may have forgiven you, but if you break any further rules, I assure you I will not." Riddle responded, his nose pointed high as he ignored Yuu once again. She grit her teeth and growled under her breath before taking a bit of her berry bowl that she'd mixed with ice-cream.

"I had intended to remove it once you'd taken an opportunity to reflect upon your crimes. But I've not detected so much as a hint of remorse in the foolishness I've heard you spout today." Riddle stopped for a moment, thinking before he nodded. "Yes... I believe I'll let you keep that for a while."

"Don't worry. The freshman curriculum is more focused on magical theory than practice. And your inability to use magic will help prevent incidents along the lines of what happened yesterday." Riddle continued.

"Now, if you've finished your meal, you should quit gossiping and prepare for your next class." The red-head stated. "Rule 271 is quite clear: 'One must leave the table within fifteen minutes of completing their lunch.' You DO understand what happens to rulebreakers, I trust?" His tone was dangerous and heavy with warning.

Yuu watched the boy with a glare while Ace gave a sigh. "More insane rules..."

Riddle stood up straight and with all the authority of a drill sergeant. "I believe you mean to say, 'Yes, Housewarden!'"

Ace and Deuce sat up a little straighter before following his instructions. Riddle gave a satisfied nod, his stormy gray eyes landing on Trey.

"Don't worry, I'll keep an eye on them." Trey assured as Riddle's gaze seemed to soften on him for a moment.

"As vice housewarden, I trust you'll avoid any further indiscreet conversation." He nodded at Trey before continuing with his own things. "Now, as per rule 339... 'The post-meal beverage is to be lemon tea with two sugar cubes.' Thus, I must go to acquire my sugar cubes. Farewell." The red-head gave a nod as he walked away, and Yuu could hear his grumpy tone of voice.

"Don't even get me started on their violation of running out of sugar cubes...!"

Once he'd left, quite a few people let out a sigh of relief, Yuu included.