Book 1, Chapter 10

After classes, Yuu was met with a familiar, very eccentric bird-man.

"Hello my dear!" He chirped, looking, examining her, dusting her off, and fixing her hair. Yuu stood awkwardly still, completely unused to this.

"Hello headmage Crowley." She smiled.

"Have you eaten? Did you exert yourself? Are you tired, nauseous, dizzy, thirsty?" Crowley lifted her arm and went around her, finding no injuries. He sighed in relief as he finally relaxed.

"Don't worry, Headmage, I'm okay. I have a few plans to go pick some chestnuts, so I can't stay for long." Yuu said, recalling the note asking for a short ten minute meeting.

"Is that so?" Crowley smiled before continuing. "I'll be quick then!" He crowed, ushering Yuu in the direction of his office. Once the two had successfully entered, Crowley presented Yuu with a book.

She read over the back, figuring out that it was a book about pregnancy for new mothers. She bit her lip in an attempt to not tear up at the seemingly selfless action from the dramatic bird.

"I..." She swallowed. "Thank you, headmage." She paused before turning to him.

"By the way, sir. Does this world have ultrasounds?" She asked, making Crowley light up excitedly.

"Why, if they're anything like magi-scans, then we do." Crowley began to animatedly chatter and caw.

Yuu smiled at the childish excitement, finally catching that the magi-scans acted similarly to an ultrasound, but involved magic, a speaker, and a scrying bowl.

Crowley finally seemed to regain his composure before saying, "Would you like to set up a day to do a magi-scan?"

Yuu gave him a nod. "Yes sir!"

"Very good, Miss Yuu." Crowley smiled before ushering her to the door. "Now, off you go!"

Yuu nodded as she grabbed her bag from off the floor. As she stepped out, she was met with a familiar looking blond, whose expression was one of surprise.

She yelped, jumping backward before finally recalling his name. "... Rook?"

His surprised expression melted off his face as he gave a pleased smile. "Oui!" He bowed, emphasizing his movements with a tip of his feather hat.

Yuu laughed a bit, mimicking his bow. She looked at his face, noticing a strange look. "Hey, Rook?" She asked.

"Oui? Qu'est-ce qui se passe?" He asked.

"You were outside the headmage's door... can I ask exactly how much of the conversation you heard?"

Rook, despite his seemingly regular odd behavior, seemed to hesitate for a moment. "I believe I have heard a secret that I should not know, Madame trickster."

Yuu felt her eyes widen as Rook referred to her as a woman. "Please promise you won't tell anyone!" She pleaded.

"Oui! Je promets que je garderai votre secret pour moi. Your secret is safe with me!"

Yuu sighed, somewhat relieved. "Thank you." She responded with a warm smile.

For a small moment, Yuu's eyes scanned the clock that hung in the hallway before she froze slightly, doing a double take.

"Oh shoot! I'm gonna be late!" She yelped.

"Late? To where?" Rook asked.

"I have to meet friends in front of the woods behind the campus." She yelped, a little bit more anxious.