Chapter 1 -

"Sweetie, you'll love it there!" My mother tried to convince me, but I didn't think I would. I was leaving Ohio, where I was born and raised, and moving to Australia.

I wish dad hadn't done what he did. He wouldn't be in prison, and we would be a happy family. Instead, my mother and I were leaving to get away from our past.

I sighed and glared at her. My bedroom was empty, except for a few pictures hanging on the wall. "Just pack up the rest of your stuff," she snapped and rolled her eyes, leaving the room.

A single tear fell from my blue eyes but I quickly brushed it away, I didn't need to cry. I don't cry.

I stood up and shoved away a few boxes that were surrounding me. This was really happening, I thought. We were really going to Australia.

When I was 12, I begged and begged for my parents to move to Australia, but that was 3 years ago, and now I didn't want anything to do with it.

I made a new box and walked over to the wall, taking down the frames that held photos of my favorite bands, and then I made my way over to my most cherished photo.

It was when I was 11 and my parents took me to Sea World. It was the best family trip I had, and unfortunately, the only family trip I ever had. My parents weren't that good on money at that moment, well, my mother wasn't. My father didn't need to worry about that in prison.

In the picture we were standing in front of a long aquarium, and my father had his hand on my shoulder, looking down at me with love in his eyes. My mother had her hand on my back where she was smiling at the camera. I missed that.

I put it in the cardboard box along with all my other pictures and taped it closed. I grabbed the permanent marker off the floor and scribbled 'Ella's photos FRAGILE.'

"Mom, I'm done!" I yelled.

"Great, honey! Now take down the boxes and put them in the moving truck!" She shouted from downstairs.

I glanced around at all the boxes on my floor. The bed was already in the truck, and I didn't have that many boxes to gather up, maybe 13 or so.

I took two at a time, and I was done in no time. The house was empty and I took one last look at it. I took a deep breath and looked at my mother, who was sitting in the driver's seat. She wore a weak smile and said, "Ready?"

I nodded, but I didn't say a word. I wasn't 'ready.' I mean sure, after everyone at school found out about my dad, they didn't want anything to do with me. "He's your father, you'll end up just like him," they told me. But I loved this place still. The park across the street was where I played at. This sidewalk was where I learned to ride my bike. And I grew up here, I didn't want to leave.

I hopped into the passenger seat and closed the door as my mother started up the truck. We drove out of the driveway, and onto the road. "Then let's get the hell out of Ohio," she said so quietly, I almost didn't hear her.

-

My mother had to pee a lot, so we stopped so many times. It was pretty annoying stopping every 30 minutes, but we finally made it to the airport where people unloaded our truck.

When the plane took off, my breath hitched. I'd never been on a plane before and I was almost certain that we were going to crash. But after a few long hours, my theory was proven wrong as we safely landed.

Mother slept the whole way there, while I peered out the window. I had to admit that was pretty cool, seeing everything so small.

"We're finally here!" My mother cheered happily, while I stared out the window of the rental car. We had to wait in line for a while afterwards but it didn't take that long, so we were finally on our way to the new house.

I didn't understand how she was so happy about this whole fucking mess. Her husband of 14 years, my father of 15 years, was in prison, and we were in Australia.

She pulled into the new house, and as I stepped out of the car I was surprised, to be honest. It was way nicer than our last house. There were bright green hedges, flowers, and the house was painted a tan color. It was bigger than our last house too, which was a bonus.

"Sweetheart." My mother came up from behind me and rested her head on my shoulder. "How do you like it?"

"It's actually really great mom," I said and smiled, I knew that would make her happy. "Thank you so much."

"Of course sweetie, and I promise we'll get through this rough patch." That was first time in a few weeks that she had spoke of what had happened.

She kissed my cheek and then jogged up to the front door. "Let's go in! The movers will be here shortly, but let's get a quick look around and you can choose your room." She winked at the last part.

I laughed quietly, following her up the steps and into the new house.