Chapter 24 -

The previous night I had forgotten to set my alarm, causing me to wake up late. "Oh shit," I mutter to myself as I check the time on my phone. It's only a few minutes past noon.

I contemplate whether or not it's even worth it to go to school, I'd only have around three hours left anyways. I decide not to, and I type in the school's number.

"Hello! This is Michelle Barkley speaking, how can I help you?" The voice of the office secretary booms through the speaker.

I make my voice sound more high pitched, imitating my mother's. "Hi! This is Ms. Ventue, Ella's mother. She isn't feeling well, so she won't be coming in today."

"Oh, that poor girl. I hope she gets well soon and thank you for notifying us. Goodbye!"

"Bye!" I hurry to hit the end button. I sigh in relief as I set the phone back on the nightstand.

I feel a little guilty for skipping school but it would be pointless to go. And it is nice to have a break from everyone, I can just relax today.

I crawl out of bed and go downstairs to get some breakfast, or, considering it is past noon, lunch.

I make myself a grilled cheese sandwich and sit at the counter in silence, the only noise is the sound of me chewing.

I put the paper plate in the trash when I finish and watch American Horror Story for a while. Tate and Violet's relationship break my heart every time.

I smile to myself as I watch the two on screen. I know Tate betrayed Violet horribly, but I can't help but wish someone will love me like he loved Violet.

I go into the kitchen to grab a granola bar and when my eyes glance over to the microwave the time reads five thirty-six. Was I really watching it for that long?

I turn off the television and go upstairs to check the messages on my phone. Four new messages.

"Y were u not at school 2day??? -Mags"

"Hi Ellaaaa xPaula"

"Lol Ella where were you today?? Ash was flippin shit lmao -Luke"

"Hi ;) it's Tyler btw, didn't see you today."

Luke's message surprises me the most. Did Ashton really notice I was gone? I shake the ridiculous thought and reply to everyone, telling them hello and I woke up so late I stayed home instead.

I turn the phone off so I won't receive anymore messages.

I lay down in bed and pull the covers over me. It's so lonely being here without my mother. Even if she was out a lot, it was great having her around. I can't wait until she gets home. At least on Friday I have the sleepover, that'll be fun.

-

Thursday morning I wake up tired and dizzy. When I stand up, I can't even reach my closet without nearly falling over. Luckily, my hand collides with the wall and I lean on it.

I didn't get a lot of sleep last night, and now I'm paying for it.

I change into blue skinny jeans and a red t-shirt, slipping on my converses. I stumble to the dresser and comb a brush through my hair.

I decide to skip breakfast and just head straight to school, I don't want to accidentally throw up or something, that'd be horrifying.

"Hi guys," I greet my two friends, yawning. The books in my hand almost fall to the floor but I catch them in time.

"Woah," Paula starts. "You don't look so good."

"Yeah, you okay?" Maggie questions.

I nod. "Yeah, I just didn't get a good sleep last night. I'll be fine by lunch," I smile at the two of them.

I feel a tap on my shoulder and when I turn around I see Luke. "Oh hey, Luke."

"Hi!" He grins. "I'm excited for the sleepover tomorrow."

"Me too," I tell him. "Tomorrow after school you have to help me go shopping and you'll help me make food for everyone."

He pouts, sticking out his bottom lip. "Why?" He whines.

"You wanted this sleepover, you'll get it and you will help me." I say, and he sighs in defeat. I smile in satisfaction as the bell rings, and we all part ways for class.

-

When lunchtime rolls around, I feel much better. I grab my lunch tray and head to our table. "Hi, ladies." I say, sitting down across from Maggie, Paula two seats beside me.

In the previous class I didn't see Tyler, but I decide not to question it. It isn't any of my business, anyways.

I notice Maggie is picking at her food, a frown evident on her face and her eyebrows narrowed like she is focused on something.

I look over at Paula and she meets my eyes, I can tell she sees something is up too.

"Hey, Maggie." I get her attention and smile at her as she looks up. "Are you alright?"

"Something is wrong with Chase, he just seems so... Distant." She sighs, pushing a strand of hair out of her eyes.

"You guys have been dating for quite a while now, right?" Paula asks and Maggie nods. "Maybe it's just a personal problem, don't overthink it too much."

But when Maggie looks at me, I can tell she is thinking something else.

"I think," she starts but her voice cracks. She clears her throat and sits up straighter before continuing. "I think he cheated."

"Aw Mags," I coax. "What makes you assume that?"

"I saw him flirting with Tiffany," she says with disgust. "But when he talks to me, he doesn't kiss me anymore, tell me cheesy pick up lines." She sighs, looking away for a moment. "I don't know, maybe he just got bored of me."

"Who's Tiffany?" Paula asks.

"She's a junior, like Chase. Over at that table," she nods towards a group of girls, they're all dressed preppy and their hair is done fancy.

"She's the blonde one, straight hair," Maggie tells us.

I notice her then, laughing with her friends. She looks like a model.

"Well, don't worry Maggie. Maybe it's just a misunderstanding." I assure her.

"Maybe," she says, looking down at her uneaten plate of food.

I've never dealed with a cheater before, and I've never had such loyal friends before. But I can say one thing. If Chase breaks Maggie's heart, I might just have to break him.

-

I hope you liked the chapter! :)
Thank you for reading!