Chapter 46 -

"Ashton," I greet him. Luke, Calum and Michael have all wandered off, probably in search of fruit punch and hot girls.

Ashton stares at me before answering, I flutter inside as his eyes scan my body, his mouth wide with amazement. "You look great, Ella."

"You do, too." I'm not lying, he looks drop dead gorgeous in his black tuxedo, his long hair slicked back. An urge races through me to tussle and mess it up, I'm so used to his hair being wavy and loose.

"So, in all my years of high school, I've never been to one of these," he admits, glancing around the crowded gymnasium. "What are you supposed to do?"

"Dance, eat, talk," I say. "I don't really know, I've never been to one of these before either!"

"I'll go find us some food," he says. "Want anything specific?" He digs his hands deep into his pockets, teetering on his heels anxiously.

"Anything with chocolate."

He grins cheekily and nods, swiveling around and walking away, in search of the concession stand.

I lean against the wall for a few minutes, waiting for Ashton's return. I'm really hungry, with an enormous craving for chocolate, that he had best hurry up.

"So, who are you here with?"

I'm startled by the voice and I jump, turning to to see its owner.

Tyler smiles, showing off his bright white teeth. Nervously, I smile back.

"Ashton, is who I'm here with," I answer. Tyler cocks an eyebrow and tilts his head, obviously baffled.

"Irwin?"

"Yep."

"You do realize that he's just here to sleep with you, yeah? I've never seen him at a school event before, ever," he replies, sneering at the mention of Ash.

My small hands clench at my sides and I stand up straight. I'm tiny to compared to Tyler, well, I'm tiny compared to everyone, and I still have to look up in order to look him in the eyes, but my posture is tall and my confidence is high.

"I'll have you know Ashton would never use me for sex, he'd never hurt me. And I thought you were more kind, considering we were friends, or at least I assumed we were."

"Friends, huh?" He laughs, shrugging his shoulders. "We were, before you blew me off for a few weeks. I liked you! And you stopped talking to me."

"You know what?" I answer, pursing my lips. "For that, I am sorry. But it was honestly never my intention to abandon you.

"Despite that, however, I'd think you'd act more mature and not trash talk Ashton in front of me." I'm speaking so much like an adult it surprises me, I've grown a lot since I moved here, I can tell.

"Immature. I'm not being immature!" Tyler argues, crossing his arms and pouting, clearly proving my point. He smirks and drops his arms to his sides. "You wanna bet?"

I sigh, tired of his presence and praying that Ashton will return soon with food. "Bet on what?"

"He'll hurt you, Ella. That's the bet. I know you don't think he will, but he will, trust me."