Chapter 40 -

Sunday passes and Monday arrives. I dread getting out of my warm bed and going to school, but I have no choice.

I force myself from my bed and walk to my closet. I decide to dress cute, with light blue skinny jeans, white flats, and a white t-shirt that has a smiley face on it.

I comb through my hair, ridding it of tangles, and pull it up into a high ponytail. I roll on deodorant and spritz on my, and Ashton's, favorite perfume, vanilla scented.

"Honey, you up?" My mother knocks gently on the door.

"Yeah!" I answer back loudly, stepping away from the mirror. I walk to the bedroom door and tug it open, revealing my mother. "Morning," I greet her, smiling.

I step beside her and head downstairs, I can hear her trailing closely behind me.

For breakfast I get out a bowl and a spoon. From the fridge I gather vanilla yogurt, strawberries, and blueberries. From the cupboard I get granola and pecans. I mix all of this together and voila, my morning meal is in front of me.

I can't finish it all and offer the rest to my mother, who gladly accepts it. I kiss her goodbye and begin walking to school.

The morning air is chilly and raises goosebumps on my skin. I ignore this and continue my walk. But when Calum pulls up to the curb and rolls down his window, saying, "Hey! Hop in!" with a smile, I get in.

He has the heat on which feels absolutely lovely against my cold face. I turn to him. "Morning, Cal. Thank you for the ride."

He smiles back at me, taking his eyes off the road for a split second. He quickly averts his eyes back on the road, however, and I feel a lot safer. "Morning to you, as well. No problem."

We arrive to shortly and I thank Calum once again before heading into the school.

At my locker, I'm surprised to find Ashton waiting for me. "Hi," I greet him, approaching and entering my locker combination.

The locker door swings open just as Ashton asks, "what are we?" I nearly slam the door into his face on accident but he dodges out of the way.

I look at him, stunned. Within the few months that I've lived here, I was told that Ashton Irwin hated commitment and wanted no part of it. Now he was standing in front of me, eyes narrowed and a determined sparkle in his eyes, asking why our relationship meant.

"I-I don't know?" I answered nervously. I shuffled the books I needed from my locker into my arms and shut the door quietly, turning to face Ashton.

"We do things together, do we have a label?" He asked, staring intently into my eyes.

"I don't know, Ashton. Do we?" I cocked an eyebrow.

"What do you mean?" He asked, sighing.

"I mean, you do the things we do all the time without labels, no commitment. I don't, but now I do, I guess. Only with you, though.

"I'm okay with labels, but I'm wondering if you are," I finished just as the bell rang. I gave him a small smile before walking to my class.

Class was boring and the teacher gave most of my fellow classmates detention for not doing the assigned homework, but I, however, was not one of them.

I met with Paula and Maggie at lunchtime and sat with them after retrieving my lunch. "So what's the news?" I asked them both at the table.