Chapter 14 -

"Ella!" My mother screamed, literally screamed from downstairs.

It was Wednesday and I despised those days, it's right in the middle and I'm not sure if I should be happy I only had two more days in the week, or upset that I was only two days in.

"I am getting up!" I yelled. I was exhausted from school even though I had been there for a few weeks.

I crawled out of bed and went over to the closet, rubbing my eyes. I needed coffee this morning.

I tugged on blue skinny jeans and a plain white t-shirt. After that I slipped on black flats and headed to the mirror. I didn't need a lot of make up so I did a natural look and combed through my hair.

Thankfully my mother is a caffeine addict and already had the coffee brewed, so I wouldn't need to do it. I poured a cup full and sat down at the kitchen counter, sipping my drink every so often.

My mother came over dressed classy and was holding a brief case. "Sweetheart, I have a big job interview today, and it's a few hours away so I won't be back until late. Make sure you get to school on time." She told me, turning around and walking to another section of the house. It wasn't long until I heard the front door slam, telling me my mother had left.

I gulped down the rest of my coffee and placed the mug in the sink. I had around fifteen minutes left but I didn't want to spend it hanging around the house when I could be talking to my friends, so I decided to leave the house and head to school.

-

"Hi Paula, Maggie." I greeted my two best friends at their lockers. My hands were filled with pencils, pens, and my books and binders.

"Hey girl, you ready for the party this weekend?" Paula asked. I had completely
forgotten about the party, but I was prepared for it anyways.

"Yeah, I suppose." I nodded. "I'll see you guys later, I'm going to see Luke before classes." I smiled at the two of them.

"Alright, see ya later." They said in unison.

I turned around on my heel and wandered around the hallway for a few seconds before I came across Luke yelling at Ashton. What the hell is going on?

"You asshole! You'll leave her alone!" Luke shouted, shoving Ashton away from him.

"I'll do whatever the hell I want, Hemmings." Ashton smirked, taking a step closer to him.

I ran up to Luke and wrapped my two small hands around his bicep, tugging him away. Once I got him away from everywhere and we were secluded in janitors closet, I started to speak. "Luke, what happened?" I asked in a calm voice.

"Ashton is a prick, that's what." He ran one hand through his hand, closing his eyes and letting out a sigh.

"What did he say?"

He opened his eyes and looked directly into my eyes. "I had an ex girlfriend a few months ago.. We only broke up because she moved away." Luke started, but I was already shaking my head.

"She's coming back, isn't she?" I mumbled.

"Yeah. I'm really sorry Ella, but it will always be her." I bit my lip, a tear rolling down my cheek. I wiped it away quickly, praying he didn't notice.

"So, that is it? I get we weren't in a relationship, but did any of it mean anything, everything we did?" I asked him.

"Of course it did, I liked you a lot. I wasn't using you or anything, I swear."

I nodded, sighing. "I get it then, I guess. But why were you so pissed at Ashton?" I would forgive Luke, not right away but soon. It would just take a while to get over my small crush on him.

"Ashton talked about how we would like to fuck my ex, and it pissed me off because just last night she and I were on the phone, talking about getting back together."

I nodded. "If she wants to get together with you again, I'm sure she wouldn't even want to sleep with Ashton."

"You're right." He looked at me. "I'm really sorry, Ella."

I waved my hand, smiling. "Don't worry about it Luke, we can still be friends though, right?"

"Of course!" He grinned, nudging my shoulder with his elbow.

"Ouch," I said, laughing. "We had better get to classes."

"Yeah," he agreed.

It was unfortunate that Luke didn't like me in that way anymore, but I would forgive him because it did make sense, how he had that girl first.

Besides, I would rather be single than be having a fling or dating someone who still liked someone else.

-

Classes were very boring, as usual. But thank goodness when it is lunch time and I grab a tray from the lunch ladies, making my way to the table where Paula, Maggie, and I sit.

Lunch is gross. It is some kind of mushy meat mixture that smells horrifying, fruit that I'm pretty sure has expired, and milk. I think I'll be fine on an empty empty.

"Hey," Paula said, and Maggie greeted me soon after.

"Hi," I smiled at the both of them.

"How are you and Luke?" Maggie asked. I sighed, looking down at my lap and picking at my already very short fingernails.

"Whatever we had or were, is over. His ex girlfriend is coming back to town and he still isn't over her."

Maggie and Paula glanced at each other before returning their gaze on me. "Lauren, that's her name," Paula told me. "I remember her from last year. She was nice."

I nodded but stayed quiet. I don't feel like talking.

Suddenly my phone vibrated in my pocket and I pulled it out, checking the ID, it said UNKNOWN.

I hesitated to answer it but finally I clicked the call button. I put it up to my ear, waiting for someone to speak. It was a robot voice.

"An inmate from Blue View prison is trying to contact you, hit the call button to answer."

I let out a sound between a gasp and a squeal, and it I knew it had to be my father on the other line. I'm not sure if I should be excited or angry.

I stood up from the chair, waving to the girls before running out of the cafeteria, tripping over a chair on my way out.

I was out of breathe by the time I was sure I was alone, and I pressed the call button.

"Hello?" I whisper.

"Hello? Hello! Sweetie, it's your father!" He said, and I could tell he was smiling even without seeing him.

"I know."

"Honey? What's wrong?" He asked, and I bit my lip to prevent tears from falling. It didn't work.

"What's wrong?" I scoff, wiping away tears. "You, you killed someone!" I whisper-shout.

"It was an accident!" He sighed in exasperation. "I was drunk, sweetie. I should not have been driving, but I did, and I am sorry."

"Sorry doesn't fix it, daddy." I said, hanging up.

I slid the phone back into my pocket, twirling around.

Before me I saw Ashton with a confused look on his face, his eyebrows furrowed and a look in his eyes that appeared to be.. Anger?

This couldn't be good.

-

HI GUYS. so I hope you liked the chapter, and I have good news!!
I was on a boat today and I got this idea for a new fan fiction, this time about Luke. And I'm gonna write it soon so if you guys could check it out that would be really cool and amazing, and I'm so excited to write it.
Thank you guys for reading!