Chapter 20 -

I'm home alone, except for my sleeping mother, and I have no clue on what to do.

Now, back in America, I was big on sports. Or one, at least. Track. And I was fantastic at it. My coach adored me, and I was one of his best students. I could run a mile a little under four minutes, and I still can.

So I decide to write my mother a note and leave it on the counter. It's simple. Went for a run, be back soon. xoxo

I go upstairs and dig around in some boxes until I finally come up with my old running shoes. They are a little small, but they still fit. Before slipping those on, I change into a purple tank top and black yoga pants.

I tug on the running shoes, and out the front door I go.

I start off slow, and then build up my speed. I go down the sidewalk a few blocks and see a narrow trail that leads into some woods.

In a horror movie, chances are the character would go on the trail and get killed by an ax murderer, but I take the risk anyways and go that way.

It isn't long before I see trailers ahead of me. I found a trailer park.

I follow the path into the trailer home and wave at a few people outside. And then one person catches my eye.

I slow down and examine him. Sitting in a white lawn chair outside of a large trailer, is none other than Ashton.

Why is he everywhere?

He takes a sip from a bottle of soda and stretches his arms above his head. He's wearing his usual attire, black skinny jeans and a white shirt. His hair is a mess like he just woke up. I sprint a little off the track and duck behind a tree, sticking my head out just far enough to see him.

He takes another drink and tosses the empty bottle into a black garbage can, stands up and walks into the trailer, slamming the screen door behind him.

I sigh in relief that I haven't been caught. I walk back to the trailer slowly in case he returns, and as soon as I'm far enough that my back faces him, I hear a door open and close and my name being called.

"Ella?" I stop where I am and turn around. His eyes are narrowed and he looks upset. "Did you follow me here?"

I scoff and roll my eyes. "Why would I follow you here? I was going for a jog and accidentally found a park, I didn't know you lived here."

He nods. "You can come in you know."

I shake my head quickly. "I don't know. My mother might expect me home soon."

He crosses his arms over his chest. "Just c'mon, she won't care."

I sigh in defeat and walk over to the steps, climbing up and onto a tiny porch. He opens the door and I step inside.

He comes in after and shuts the door. "Why don't you live with your parents?" I ask. He points to a couch before answering and I sit down, he plops down beside me.

"I wanted my own place." He answers. I couldn't ever think of leaving my parents while I was still in high school, but maybe he had another reason he isn't telling me.

"Do you want something to drink?" He starts to stand up but I shake my head.

"Nah, I can't stay for long anyways."

"Oh, right."

There is a moment of silence, it isn't awkward but it isn't a pleasant silence. Should I ask him about the kiss? I mean, I deserve an answer as to why he did it in the first place and why he didn't come after me.

"Why did you kiss me last night?"

"You kissed me back."

"Well you kissed me first," I argue. He groans and throws his head back against the cushion. "Why'd you kiss me?"

"I kiss a lot of girls, why would you be any different? It was a kiss, Ella, get over it."

I look down at my hands. "You know, Ashton. I don't just randomly kiss people. Maybe you do, and maybe that's just the kind of person you are.

But I am 15 years old, and you are one of the few people I have ever kissed. I can count those people on one hand. I don't want to be just a girl you use, so don't kiss me again. In fact," I scoff. "Don't even talk to me again."

I stand up and look back down at him, a frown evident on my face. I wave quickly, and walk over to the screen door.

"Ella, seriously?" He stands up after me but before he can reach me I run outside and slam the door in his face.

Racing down the steps and returning to the trail, I run away without looking back. I can hear my name being called faintly, but I choose to ignore him.

I can't just be someone he uses, I can't be that type of girl. I deserve more, I know that. I deserve a boy who wants to date me, cuddle with me on the couch and watch movies. He would take me on dates and kiss me passionately.

So even though my mind is screaming Ashton! Ashton! I understand that he would never want something like that with me.

I go home and take a quick shower, ridding myself of the sweaty stink. I feel much better as I towel myself off and go to my bedroom. After putting on some pink striped pajamas, I walk downstairs and lay on the couch.

Scrolling through the Netflix recommendations, I decide on Silver Linings Playbook.

And that's how I spend the rest of my day, curled up on the couch and watching romance movies. I guess it isn't my ideal Sunday, but it'll do.

-