Chapter 49 -

(We're so close to 50 chapters!!)

Jered.

An image of him kissing my mother sweetly goodbye this morning pops up in my head as I watch him lean across the table and hold hands with a woman I've never seen before.

Well, I'm not often a sneaky bitch, but when I am, I'm a damn good one.

I slip my phone from my pocket and snap a few photos of them together, I even get one of them kissing. It's evidence, what can I say?

My hands form into fists and I barge into the restaurant, storming over to the booth.

"Jered," I say bitterly. "How're you- Oh! Who's this?"

Jered snaps his head up to look at me. He looks worried and, quickly, he pulls away from the woman and stands up. "Bunny, I'll be right back," he tells the woman.

"Bunny," I say, "how adorable." The woman blushes, staring at me while fiddling with her thumbs.

"It's his nickname for me," she explains, just like my mother did only a little earlier today. "He says I look just like a bunny."

I tilt my head, frowning. "You know, you do like quite a bit like a bunny. Yeah, a fucking dead one!"

Just as I'm about to jump at the lady, Jered pulls me away into a corner. "What the hell, Ella! Did you follow me here?"

"Nope," I say, crossing my arms over my chest. "I'm here to pick up dinner for me and my mother."

"Look, I'll break it off with Liz," he tells me. "Just don't tell your mother, please!"

Jered's eyebrows are bunched together as he stares at me thoughtfully. "Too bad," I scoff, smirking. As much as I hate this man for cheating on my mother, making him feel like shit and scared makes up for it. Payback's a bitch.

He laughs nervously. "She won't even believe you."

"Really, well look here." I pull up the pictures of Jered showing affection to Liz, and he gulps, reaching for the phone. Luckily, I yank it back just in time and slide it into my pocket.

"You're a stupid, little teenager," he insults. "I didn't like you in the first place, I just went along with it because your mother is all I cared about."

"Bullshit! If she was all you cared about you wouldn't have fucking cheating on her!" I scream. Immediately, my cheeks flush and I can feel people staring at me.

"I have to go," I say, beginning to back up. "I'm afraid I have a very important meeting with my mother," I hiss.

I swivel around and go up to the register, pay for my frozen pizza dinner, and head back home.

-

"How is it?" Mom asks me, taking a small bite of the now-cooked pizza.

I've been quiet since I got home, planning how to go about this situation. I keep my phone near my side, the evidence prepared.

"Good," I murmur. I'm on my second slice. When I'm nervous I have a bad habit of eating whatever food is around me, and mother knows this.

"Sweetie, are you okay? You've been acting," she pauses, eyeing me as I shove the last of the slice into my mouth, "strange."

"I'm great, so good," I say through my pizza, smiling awkwardly.

Mother slaps down her napkin and cocks and eyebrow. "Spill it, young lady."

I hate being interrogated, so I do what I usually do, I cry.

I swallow the rest of my pizza and use my napkin to wipe the tears off my cheeks. My vision is blurry and I feel horrible. "I'm sorry, mama!"