Chapter 43 -

On Wednesday morning, I do my normal routine before heading to school. On the way there, the air is crisp and cool, and I take my time walking.

I'm greeted at my locker by Ashton, who surprises me with a public kiss.

"What was that for?" I giggle, pulling away, yet wrapping my arms around his neck.

Lacing his arms around my waist, he dips his head and plants a quick kiss on my forehead. "Just a morning greeting for my baby girl," he chuckles.

Leaning up on my tip toes, I reach his ear and mumble 'daddy,' and finally pull away. "I can't be late for class again," I sigh.

"Hey," he stops me from walking away. "Come to mine after school?" He asks, a devilish grin playing on his lips.

"Sure," I laugh. "But I really have to go."

First period class is with Ms. Wickerson, a crabby old divorced woman. Sometimes, I feel bad for her. Her husband left her, her children are young adults, wandering the world themselves with their own family, but still, that doesn't give her an excuse to make others feel bad.

"Hello, class," she says plainly. "Today, we have a test." With that, she passes out the document and allows us to get to work.

I forgot to grab a pencil from my book bag at the beginning of the class, so quietly and cautiously, making sure Ms. Wickerson isn't looking my way, I reach down to my bag and unzip the first slot, pulling out an orange mechanical pencil.

I'm just sitting up properly when Ms. Wickerson glances my way, her eyes squint and her eyebrows narrow. "Ella!" She says loudly. "Were you cheating?" She asks accusingly.

"No!" I answer honestly and defensively. "Of course not, I was only getting a pencil."

"Now, young lady, I do not tolerate any lying in my classroom!" She stands up, her back slouching and her wrinkled finger pointing towards the door. "To the office, now!"

"Fine!" I yell. I cover my mouth immediately, and apologize profusely for my volume. "I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to yell."

"Get out," she grumbles, returning to her desk. Sighing, I oblige.

-

"Ms. Ventue, Principal Gillere will see you now," the office lady tells me. I stand from my seat in the waiting room, nervously fiddling with my thumbs as I walk to the principal's office.

I've been in here before, when Ashton and I got into a food fight, but the principal let me off the hook. This time, I'm not so sure he will.

"H-Hello?" I stutter, knocking on the door.

"Come in!" I receive as a reply. Silently I enter and seat myself at the chair on the opposite side of his desk that he's sitting behind.

"Ella," Principal Gillere says, smiling brightly. "Tell me your side of the story."

"Ms. Wickerson said I was cheating on my test," I burst out loudly. "I swear I wasn't, I was only getting a pencil."

He ponders my story for a brief moment, leaning back into his chair. Then he sits up, dusts off his suit pants, and smiles at me once again. "Now, between you and me, Ms. Wickerson can overreact sometimes. But then again, you are supposed to be prepared at the beginning of class, and not to touch your backpack during tests and quizzes.

"I'm going to have to give you a detention," he tells me. "Now, off to class, Ella. Don't let this happen again, please."

"Yes, sir," I reply weakly, standing up and heading to first period to gather my materials for second.